mashing error or not ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer_master

Reaction score
I went after the ginger ale recipe here :https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/ginger-ale-3rd-place-2009-hbt-bjcp-comp-141080/

I mashed at 154F and everything was ok,but after the first vorlauf clamp that holds the mash screen in place fell off;unscrew; whatever.
Now the thing is i didnt see that untill 10 mins later when the first runnings went in to the kettle,i had no time to go through 1 more vorlauf , so i just batch sparge(fixed the mash screen in the meantime) and proceed on as i would normaly...

Will the hazy beer ,starches and other small particles that went in to the
wort be the problem or offl avors?Because when i took gravity reading (1,044) all the starches and sediment went to the botom almost immidietly rezulting in crytal clear beer with head that last forever,and i mean forever(foam was solid for about 2 hours),as seen on pic:

2ldfwpi.jpg

28vst47.jpg

Some feel you will leach tannins from the husks and what not being boiled. Others believe it's such a small amount it won't matter. Please post back either way to let us know which is correct in your case :D

Today i rack it to secondary.

Now, i screw up or not by adding a ginger root to primary instead of secondary.
FG is 1.008 , but beer is cloudy
333itfa.jpg

2uq0k8x.jpg

I guess it was cuz of the ginger and lemon zest +lemon in primary.
THe taste was weird ,it tasted like suger-less lemonade with hoppy finish.(i never tried the a ginger ale before though,so dunno what should it taste like)

Could the mashing problem couse the cloudiness,and what would be my course of action ?

p.s. I didnt disturb the yeast cake

So it was in the primary for 8 days, then you transferred to the secondary and added the second addition of ginger?

I can't tell you what caused the cloudiness, but the flavor sounds weird. When I last did mine I didn't notice any lemony flavor. Did the lemon zest end up in your primary fermenter?

It should taste like a pale ale with ginger in the background. I think the lemon accentuates the ginger, but it shouldn't taste lemony at all.

-Joe

I didnt added the second adition of ginger,and i think there was some lemon zest in a primary.
Dunno woot is with the cloudiness...
Shoot, i think... maybe i put too much lemon juice in it(4lemons )
btw. i used Gervin english ale dry yeast

I didnt added the second adition of ginger,and i think there was some lemon zest in a primary.
Dunno woot is with the cloudiness...
Shoot, i think... maybe i put too much lemon juice in it(4lemons )
btw. i used Gervin english ale dry yeast
Well, that is double the amount of lemon called for in the recipe, so that could be part of the reason it tastes like lemonade :)

If you skip the second ginger addition, that could also be part of the problem, since there's no ginger flavor to offset the lemon. If it's still in the secondary there's no reason you couldn't add the ginger now, though.

The cloudiness could be a lot of things. Did you cold-crash the beer before racking it to the secondary? You will have another chance to leave sediment at the bottom of the secondary when you bottle/keg it, too.

I keg, and most of my beers are still cloudy for the first few pints. Those extra weeks of time in the fridge really drop a lot of the sediment out.

-Joe

Well, that is double the amount of lemon called for in the recipe, so that could be part of the reason it tastes like lemonade :)

-Joe

Yeah maybe ;) + it was home grawn lemons ,sour as hell ;)

If you skip the second ginger addition, that could also be part of the problem, since there's no ginger flavor to offset the lemon. If it's still in the secondary there's no reason you couldn't add the ginger now, though.

-Joe

Well i thought i dont have to add second ginger addition,cuz i addit to the primary.

The cloudiness could be a lot of things. Did you cold-crash the beer before racking it to the secondary? You will have another chance to leave sediment at the bottom of the secondary when you bottle/keg it, too.

-Joe

I didnt,although temperatures after the fermention were at around 60-62F

What do you think should i add more ginger to secondary?

Thanx for helping Joe

Well i thought i dont have to add second ginger addition,cuz i addit to the primary.
Oh! I missed that part, I thought you skipped it entirely. Adding it to the primary should be good enough. Did you grate the ginger?

What do you think should i add more ginger to secondary?
Without tasting it I can't help you here.

Cold-crashing is one of those things that's not absolutely necessary, but can help more proteins come out of suspension and settle to the bottom, yielding a clearer beer.

-Joe

I didnt know in wich form ginger needs to be..
So i didnt grate it i cut it in to the .5 inch slices ,maybe thats why there is little ginger aroma in it.

I've tried it both ways, depending on how lazy I'm feeling :) Grating it will certainly give you a stronger ginger flavor and aroma.

-Joe

Anyways, today i had store bought ginger ale and the ginger taste was more prounanced then in my brew byf times,although there was none lemony flavors as in mine.What u think should i toss more ginger (grated or sliced) to secondary.

Back