Fermenting done after 3 days??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluelinebrewer

Reaction score
Ok, so my first batch of beer is a Brewers Best American Micro Pale Ale. I brewed Monday night and put it in the primary around midnight. My starting gravity was 1.050. The next morning at about 9:00 the airlock was bubbling good and yesterday it was going good as well. This morning I noticed that it has slowed down severely and today at lunch it appears to have completely stopped. I know, I know, I need to check the SG, and I will tonight when I get home. But would this be out of the ordinary if it's done fermenting already? And is it too soon to move to the secondary? Again, this is my maiden voyage in beer brewing so go easy on me. Thanks!

For that gravity it wouldn't be out of the question for it to be mostly done. I say mostly done because even though the airlock activity may look as though it has subsided it could probably stand a few more days in primary. As for going into secondary I would wait another couple of days if you are going to transfer otherwise just leave it in primary for 7-14 days and bypass the secondary completely. I used to put everything in secondary but now I rarely do unless I am dry hopping or making something that could use the extra maturing time. For a pale ale I would just do 10-14 days in primary and then package. For what its worth.....

Yeah, I was strongly considering skipping the secondary altogether. The more I read on this forum, the more I realize it's really not all that necessary for this type of beer. I'll measure the SG tonight and see where it stands and then again tomorrow. Either way, you're suggesting to leave it in the primary for another 7-10 days regardless if the fermenting is complete?

Definitely leave it for a MINIMUM of 7 days. Better to leave it for a little longer, but the extra time will give the beer a chance to clear and what not. You'd be surprised what a few extra days or a week or 2 will do for the beer.

Ok. Here's my only concern... (obviously not really well planned out on my part)... I will be out of town next week till Thursday night. So my brew will be in the primary for a total of about 11-12 days. If the fermentation has ceased, will it hurt my beer, or cause any off flavors, to leave it in there for so many extra days? If I'm understanding what I've read on here, it shouldn't affect the taste of the beer. Right?

You are going to find a lot of different advice on what to do now. From what I have read, its not uncommon for homebrews to be done fermenting by day 3-4 given the quality of todays yeast. Do you transfer to a secondary or bottle condition when your SG gets in range? I am new to this also and have decided to bottle condition at day 7-10 as long as SG is stable. Some people leave in primary for weeks and have no problems. Some transfer to secondary for weeks without problems and some go to bottle without problems. Point is....its hard to be wrong. Brew clean, follow the rules and have fun.

I believe the extra days will actually help the beer.

Someone correct me if I am wrong?

You are correct. Longer on the yeast allows the yeast to clean up it's waste. It gives you a very clean taste as well as crystal clear beer.

To the OP, I leave mine in primary about 4 weeks so 12 days is nothing.

Ok, just checked the SG and it's at 1.020. FG is suppose to be 1.014-1.015. I am still seeing some bubbling, but it's very slow (maybe about 1 every minute or so). So I guess that's good. Maybe I'm just worrying too much!! :)

Bluelinebrewer-

You are right on track with your fermentation and you have nothing to worry about. My advice would be to leave it in the primary at least until you return from your trip and maybe even a little longer. As Nurmey has shown you can stay in primary for quite a while without adverse effects. There is a point though where you want to to get the beer off of the yeast and trub sediment. Stay too long and you will start to pick up unwanted flavors. I generally don't go much longer than 10-14 days in primary but as most things go in homebrewing there are many ways to flog a dog. Relax, enjoy your trip, and dream of your first creation.

Cheers

defiantly your doing just fine in the area of primary fermentation, and secondary in this type of brew isnt required... im with everybody else wait 10-14days reguardless... at about ask soon as your bucket and your first brew is carbing/conditioning in the bottles, start brewing another... hell brew two... youll thank yourself for it later.

Cheers

Just a little update... Been a couple days since I started worrying... Checked my SG on Wednesday and it was 1.020, checked again on Thursday and it was about the same. I'm still seeing bubbles (about 1 every 2 minutes or so) so I know it's still fermenting, barely. My FG is suppose to be 1.014, at this rate will I ever get there???? Some reassurance please!!! :) I know, I know, just leave it alone. I've decided to go with the advice of most and will forgo the secondary.

It may get there, it may not. I've had a beer in the primary for 3-4 weeks now, and I know it's done. If you leave it alone, and check it in a week or so, you may see it drop a couple more points. Yeast are living organisms, and you can guess what they may be doing but you sure can't hurry them!

Swirl your vessel around to wakeup the yeasties, raise the temperature by a few degrees, wait an extra week. As previous people suggested you should keep beers in the primary for at least 3 weeks to get better results.

Thanks guys (and girl ;) ). Regarding raising the temperature.... I don't have a heating belt and my brew is currently setting at about 68F. Would I be ok to set a heating pad under the primary (watching it closely of course) until the temp gets up? And about how high would I want to get it? I was thinking that 70 was about the desired temp.

Thanks guys (and girl ;) ). Regarding raising the temperature.... I don't have a heating belt and my brew is currently setting at about 68F. Would I be ok to set a heating pad under the primary (watching it closely of course) until the temp gets up? And about how high would I want to get it? I was thinking that 70 was about the desired temp.

I have to disagree with warming it. If it's at 68, it's at ideal temperatures. Time is the best thing for the beer now.

Well, I attached a warming pad to the side of the fermenter, watched it closely, then pulled it off when it reached about 70. I got worried that I would forget about the heating pad and I would leave it on there too long, so I decided to follow the advice of most, leave it the hell alone and wait!!! It's now back down to 68F, and it shall remain unmolested till I get back from my mini vacation on Friday. I think I will bottle on next Tuesday. I'm still getting some bubbling action (about 1 every 2 minutes or so) so I guess thats a good thing. Thanks for all the advice everyone. I will let you know how it turns out.

Well, got back today after being gone for 5 days. Measured the SG an it's still at 1.020, maybe 1.019 if I stretch it. I'm gonna assume that fermenting is done. Unless someone thinks I should do something else, I'm gonna go ahead and bottle on Tuesday. Anyone think this will be a problem?

Back