Kegerator also used as temp control for fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLW

Reaction score
I am getting ready to buy a digital temp control (Debating on Ranco vs. Johnson) along with the thermowell upgrade.

My question is do you guys use your kegerator as a means to control fermentation temps? If so how well does that work for you? I worry about raising the temp on the kegerator and then having warm beer for a few days. My kegerator holds 4 cornies. When I cold crash I can fit two cornies and the carboy or bucket.

My other consideration is that colder temps are drawing near so maybe I just keep using a swamp cooler for a few more beers and buy the fermwrap for the winter.

I would like to build a fermentation chamber but right now have no place to put one.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Disclaimer: This post is complete speculation, I haven't actually done any of this.

I've been considering 2 projects for a while: kegerator/keezer and a fermentation chamber. Recently, I've been thinking of combining the two in a way I haven't seen mentioned much on here.

My idea is a little more geared towards a keezer just for ease of working with a collar instead of the side/top walls of a fridge. The idea is to add a hole to the collar where a fan (thinking something simple like a PC fan) and some duct work can attach and pump cool air out of the keezer and into an insulated chamber sitting beside it. The fan would be controlled by a temp controller similar to what's commonly used in a Son of a Fermentation Chamber (hacked up outlet/thermostat) or a Love/Ranco controller. When the temp in the chamber gets too high, the fan kicks on and starts pumping cool air from the keezer, if that raises the temp in the keezer, then it would kick on to maintain temps.

This would allow for different temperatures between the two areas and eliminate the "too cold for fermentation"/"too warm for beer" situation of using a straight kegerator/keezer for fermentation (outside of lagering).

Again, I haven't actually done this so I have no idea how effective/efficient it might be, but it seems doable (and more fun than just buying a second fridge/freezer).

Thoughts?

I've been using my kegerator as a fermerator for a little over a year now. I've started to fill a growler or two up before I raise the temp to fermentation temps. When one growler is empty and the other brew is still fermenting, I fill the growler back up and put it in my normal frig. It's not ideal, but I make it work. I can't wait till I can have a dedicated kegerator and a separate ferm chamber.

I've been using my kegerator as a fermerator for a little over a year now. I've started to fill a growler or two up before I raise the temp to fermentation temps. When one growler is empty and the other brew is still fermenting, I fill the growler back up and put it in my normal frig. It's not ideal, but I make it work. I can't wait till I can have a dedicated kegerator and a separate ferm chamber.

Good idea. I think I am going to make it work for now. LIke you I really need a dedicated fermentation chamber. Just sure when I can make that happen.

Back