Brewery names--what's your story?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is named Little Bear Brewing. It's in reference to the nickname my HWMBO calls me. This is the logo for now, but I want to draw one myself (and get rid of the randomly ganked image off Google).

little bear.JPG

Screamin' Wife Brewery!

Actually my SWMBO thought of this. I guess she got it from when I bottled in the laundry room and drip beer on the floor, she goes balistic if i dont get it all cleaned up.

I made an Irish ale last year that I thought was rubbish. Not bad in a Sam Adams Cherry wheat kinda way
puke2.gif
;) but just not what I had hoped for.
So, I looked up the gaelic word for "rubbish"

Bruscar.

Tongue in cheek, labeled that beer "Bruscar Irish Red" as I gave it to unknowing folk.

"Bruscar Brews" was the best thing to come out of that beer! :mug:

"Constrained Brewing Co."

This has meaning on several levels. I'm currently an Economics PhD student and econ mainly deals with constraints (scarcity, income, etc...). So there's one.

Another would be the fact that i am a graduate student, living on a heavily constrained income, with a very small apartment that has a 6 square foot kitchen (space constraint), and i should spend my waking moments studying (time constraints).

And i'm getting married in the spring, so everything i have now will be cut in half.....

Thus, i came up with "Constrained Brewing Co."

flingdingo said:
My grandmother died, and left me some money. That money was used to get me started in brewing. So in tribute, I used a nickname my dad and uncles had for her, and came up with...

Buzzard Bait Brewery

Okay I know it's been a while since this was posted..... but come on! Did your Dad and Uncles have some kind of crazy vindetta against Grandma? Did she beat them with a garden hose, water board, or perhaps use hose clamps on thier fingers when they were children???? :D

Just kidding, how does someone give Grandma a name like "Buzzard Bait" granted she's dead, my Grandma passed about 10 weeks back, do tell!

sTango said:
Dunwich Brewing Co. is an homage to my favorite author and all around nice guy, H.P. Lovecraft.
Nice.

Mine was also inspired by one of my favorite authors. In The Hobbit/LOTR, south of Hobbiton, in the town of Bywater, there is a pub called The Green Dragon.

dragon_logo.jpg

jmulligan said:
Mine is named Little Bear Brewing. It's in reference to the nickname my HWMBO calls me. This is the logo for now, but I want to draw one myself (and get rid of the randomly ganked image off Google).

"HWMBO" Ha! I love it!..not really..no really honey..it's not funny....yes maam....Sorry gotta go...SWMBO

Kevin Dean said:
So, originally I contemplated "Libre Ales" or something similar: love the concept of Libre!

Anyway... Having just read Orwell's distopian treatsie...

I'm adopting "Newspeak Brewing".

Newspeak, for those who haven't read the book, is the official language of the government at the time, designed to (by eliminating useless words) narrow the range of human though. The idea is that after Newspeak has become the only language spoken the population would be incapable of rising up and overthrowing to government (It's hard to organize rebellions when you have no word for "Freedom" or "Rebellion").

Modern crticism believes that political correctness is the first step towards the emergence of Newspeak.

Also, "Speak" has somewhat of a rebellious second-meaning to me in relation to alcohol, being that during prohibition it was at speakeasies. The contrast I find quite amusing. :)

Man, you can have fun with the acronyms!

Take the 3 slogans of the party:

* WAR IS PEACE
* FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
* IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

You can use them before the names of your favorite brews:

W.I.P. I.P.A. - though typed Wipipa, lol....

F.I.S. Oatmeal Stout, etc.

There is a lot of "Big Brother" options there....

Jonathan

I am eons away from actually doing this (it sure is fun to dream though!), but I would love to start a brew company with the name, "Townie Brewing" or something like that. It's a tad generic, and would love a suggestion to try and make it a little more "local", but since I live in a very touristy area, I think the name is appropriate.

comments? criticisms?

I've been trying to think of a name for years... When I was brewing in High School my buddies used to call it Bick's Beer.. Which kind of stuck but it sounds to much like Becks. I have been toying around with a few Ideas like:

Tricky Bicks Brewing
Little House Brewing
The Shocker Brewing
Wildwood Brewing
Manorhouse Brewing

I could use some help.. Ive never been good at names but the art work is the easy part...

rj_hockey said:
I've been trying to think of a name for years... When I was brewing in High School my buddies used to call it Bick's Beer.. Which kind of stuck but it sounds to much like Becks. I have been toying around with a few Ideas like:

Tricky Bicks Brewing
Little House Brewing
The Shocker Brewing
Wildwood Brewing
Manorhouse Brewing

I could use some help.. Ive never been good at names but the art work is the easy part...

How about House of Bicks Brewing

in light of the fact that the more I read about brewing and the antsier I get about waiting for my mr. beer batch of west coast Pale Ale to finish fermentation, i took an hour or so and made a logo and a sample label

Logo:

n114500262_30662892_8828.jpg

Sample Label:

n114500262_30662893_8940.jpg

They were both made with MS Paint, and the label was made with a photo I took of Good Harbor Beach here in Gloucester; hence the GH Hefe name.:rockin:

whatcha think?

rj_hockey said:
... When I was brewing in High School my buddies used to call it Bick's Beer...

"When I was brewing in High School?!?"

When I was in high school my "air of maturity" (read: high hairline) and a lack of beer knowledge allowed me to buy Schaefer's and Milwaukee's Best from the local 3.2 package store.

bikegeek said:
Mine was also inspired by one of my favorite authors. In The Hobbit/LOTR, south of Hobbiton, in the town of Bywater, there is a pub called The Green Dragon.

Beware of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and good with catsup.

I call my brown ale Barliman's Best. Poor old Butterbur! I'm trying to fully develop my Ordinary Bitters recipe to a point where I can't figure out where to improve it; then I'm going to call it "1427".

"That's a proper 1427, that is!"

Anyway, enough with the obscure LotR stuff. (Did I mention a pal of mine named his dogs Frodo and Sam?) Here's the story of my brewery name:

Raubsville, PA is a tiny hamlet about five miles south of Easton along the Delaware River. As far as I can tell, Raubsville has never had a commercial brewing concern of any size. I suspect that house-brewing took place in the Raubsville Inn, which has stood (and been a tavern) since 1780; the closest "commercial" brewery - meaning a brewery purpose-built for selling its product, not a house-brewer selling surplus - was north of Bethlehem in Christian Springs, a trip of about twelve miles over less-than-perfect roads. Moreover, the Christian Springs brewhouse was built to supply the Moravian settlements in Bethlehem and Nazareth, not as a profit-driven concern.

At any rate, I live in Raubsville, and I wanted to incorporate the name. As you can probably tell, I've an interest in history, so "Old" was also incorporated into the name. Many "lager boom" breweries in Pennsylvania used "Old" in their names.

Easton, PA has been the home of quite a few breweries from settlement in the 1740s to the present. There were three rather large concerns during the lager boom, one of whose old labels I nicked for a label. Gotta love Photoshop! :rockin:

Here's the original, from Bushkill Brewing Company.

00044js.JPG

Here's my Photoshopped version. I didn't do much to it other than put in my brewery name and clean up the edges.

BUSHKILL%20LAGER.gif

I'm going to use that for the on-deck brew: a redaction of a Lancaster County, PA brewery's recipe dating from the 1850s. It'll be a SMaSH beer, but nothing has been decided yet other than figuring quantities of ingredients and scaling from 10bbl to 5 gallons. I've got to make some informed decisions about malt and hops. More to follow, if you care; you can keep an eye on my website for updates.

I don't really have a logo for Old Raubsville Brewing Company. I must rectify that at once. I do have a generic label design I use:

bitter.gif

SWMBO and I are circling the fringes of Steampunk stuff, so the old label(s) and old brews are going to be really spiff!

Cheers,

Bob

Friends would ask" who made this?" and I would tell them "me". They would reply "this was made by you?" to which I would reply "Yes Byme" and it stuck. I have been calling my creations Byme Wine, Byme Mead and Byme Beer. So I guess it would be The Byme Brewery.

Byme Label.jpg

Doomstadt Brewing: home of Latveria's Finest Fermenteds is to be blamed equally on myself and Stan Lee, creator of (amongst other things) the Fantastic Four. Latveria is the home of Doctor Doom, perennial villain of Fantastic Four fame, and something about the eastern European sound appealed to me. (The fact that I have some Marvel Comics villain-themed tattoos helped.)

A cruddy beer label I whipped up in photoshop as a "proof of concept" model:
wyntyr

Well, I brew under 2 names.

For myself and friends Mine is called "HOUNDBREW" after my dog. .. he's a hound... houndbrew, homebrew... yeah...

But I play a lot of Call of Duty with friends and brew beer called "2Old4Duty Lobby Fuel"

Here are some labels!

headshotlabel.PNG

m60stoutlabel.PNG

eatitlogo.JPG

holidaybeerfrontlabel.PNG

Mine is called the Schitt Brewery. I so far only have one beer that I actually bottled, it's called Good Schitt. The possibilities are endless!!!:drunk:

Mine is the Poor Farm Brewing Co., after a section of land on my family's place called the Poor Farm. My first is a Texas Red ale called 100 Acre Ale.

I toyed with the idea of using "Thirsty Smutty Flying Dogfish Headnose" but I'm allergic to cease-and-desist orders. Still working on a better brewery name.

I've made two kit wines and my "winery" is called "some wine that i made."

chris.

I've decide to call my brewery "Lonely Pole Brewing". The story behind it, probably not what you are thinking: My wife will never open the door from the house to the garage because she HATES the smell. I joke that I could have a pole dancer out there all night while I'm brewing and she would never know, there is a support pole. Knowing that this pole will never see a dancer I decided on "Lonely Pole Brewing".

We decided to call ourselves Natural 20 Brewery, and not because we're both perfect 10's (far from it...). Brewing has to fit in between sessions of various tabletop RPG's, so there are usually funny-shaped dice floating around the kitchen. We never dropped one in the brew kettle, thankfully.

zoebisch01 said:
Yes, but do you play the game that was invented "by gamers for gamers?" :D

Black Betty Brewing. I chose this based off of suicide girls. I think girls with piercings and tats are sexy.

Little Kitchen Brewery. My kitchen is little and that's where the bulk of my brewing takes place. As soon as we move, I get a new brewery name (and get kicked out to the garage).

RAM JAM-

Oh Black Betty
Bama Lamb

Oh Black Betty
Bama Lamb

Black Betty had a child
Bama Lamb

The damn thing gone wild
Bama Lamb

Said weren't none of mine
Bama Lamb

The damn thing gone blind
Bama Lamb

I said
oh Black Betty
Bama Lamb

Woh Black Betty
Bama Lamb.
Woh Black Betty
Bama Lamb

Woh Black Betty
Bama Lamb

She really gets me high
Bama Lamb

You know that's no lie
Bama Lamb

She's so rock steady
Bama Lamb

And she's always ready
Bama Lamb

Woh Black Betty
Bama Lamb

Woh Black Betty
Bama Lamb.

Woh Black Betty
Bama Lamb

Woh Black Betty
Bama Lamb

She's from Birmingham
Bama Lamb

Way down in Alabama
Bama Lamb

Well she's shakin' that thing
Bama Lamb

Boy she makes me sing
Bama iamb

Woh Black Betty
Bama Lamb

Woh Black Betty
Bama Lamb.

Yes. But black betty is also a type of style of chick. Tats and piercings that wears more black. Closer to the gothic image but not so much.

MikeFlynn74 said:
RAM JAM-

Oh Black Betty
Bama Lamb

Oh Black Betty
Bama Lamb

Black Betty had a child
Bama Lamb

The damn thing gone wild
Bama Lamb

Said weren't none of mine
Bama Lamb

The damn thing gone blind
Bama Lamb

I said
oh Black Betty
Bama Lamb

Woh Black Betty
Bama Lamb.
Woh Black Betty
Bama Lamb

Woh Black Betty
Bama Lamb

She really gets me high
Bama Lamb

You know that's no lie
Bama Lamb

She's so rock steady
Bama Lamb

And she's always ready
Bama Lamb

Woh Black Betty
Bama Lamb

Woh Black Betty
Bama Lamb.

Woh Black Betty
Bama Lamb

Woh Black Betty
Bama Lamb

She's from Birmingham
Bama Lamb

Way down in Alabama
Bama Lamb

Well she's shakin' that thing
Bama Lamb

Boy she makes me sing
Bama iamb

Woh Black Betty
Bama Lamb

Woh Black Betty
Bama Lamb.

Bama Lamb?? I always thought it was "Ramble Dam"

kush said:
Yes. But black betty is also a type of style of chick. Tats and piercings that wears more black. Closer to the gothic image but not so much.

Kinda like a tatoo'd Betty Page. You see 'em in Rod and Custom magazine quite a bit.

I am currently in a mental tug-o-war between 'PNW Brew' with brews named "Overcast Stout" (in my sig now as this idea came first), "Chance of Sun Hefe", "Mud Puddle Porter".

Another I am consider is 'Trouble Brewing' both for the play on words and my wife says I am trouble. To follow this I am considering brews named "Tits and Tires Pale Ale" (anything with them will cause you trouble) "Lil Red Irish Ale" (after my wife), etc

Decisions................... decisions.

Still trying to come up with one for my brewery. Had a couple ideas, but have not settled on anything yet.

One would be something like Wild Weasel Brewing. Once in college I came back from a heavynight of drinking. My dorm mate at the time had stayed in that night, and when he came back he said my drunkeness and squinty eyes made me looklike a weasel. I has stuck around and other friends have taken to calling me Weasel, Weez, Weezie, from time to time. If it is a night of drinking once again they will ask if I will be Weaseling tonight or if I am yet....

One other idea was based on my interest in Civil War History and woud be somehting like Bayonet Brewing. I think my wife likes this sort of idea better. I am undecided. Either way my artistic ability is pretty non-existant, so I would have some trouble comming up with a logo....

Any thoughts?

My last name is LaVoy, and basically as long as I can remember my brothers and I were known as The LaVoy Boys.

And actually talking to my dad last night, apparently his generation of he and his bros were known as that as well, so it only made sense: LaVoy Boys Brew Company.

Back