Bits of cork in mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frognostic

Reaction score
Today I racked some of 2014's buckwheat honey mead into bottles, getting four bottles plus some dregs.

Something went wrong in the corking process with two of the bottles and to my displeasure I noticed some small pieces of cork floating around in there.

The bottles with the cork crumbs in the mead had the corks squashed into the necks, deforming them slightly, while the good bottles had the tips of the corks protruding from the rim.

The question I have to ask is this: will those cork crumbs floating in the mead ruin it?

I intend to lay the bottles down so the mead would have been in contact with the cork anyway but seeing it floating around in there just bothered me.

EDIT: my intention is to drink it either later in the year or in years to come, allowing it to age in the bottle.

The bits of cork shouldn't be any concern. It may even give your mead a cool homemade vibe in the glass.:D

Latest posts

Back