Acorn Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noe

Reaction score
In the fall we harvested some acorns. We shelled and froze them and now we are just waiting to start it once we have time.
What I was wondering is if anyone has had first hand experience at making this themeselves or knows someone that has attempted this?

I have actually read a little on doing this but haven't tried it yet. Acorns are full of tannins and in order to remove them the Indians used to place them in a fast moving stream and the constant flow removed a lot of the tannins. I'd would be very interested in how this turns out

I've heard of getting rid of the tannins by boiling them and changing out the water until it longer turns brown.

My husband informs me that white oak can make a nice wine, but red oak (the kind we have in our area) is so full of tannins that it wouldn't be worth it.

Some people, including native Americans, make/made a flour out of white oaks for acorn cakes or brewad.

I'd think they would be more suited to a beer, given that they are a starch. but how to make it work...

A few people are right on. Boiling them with several changes of water will get rid of a bulk of the tannin.

Thanks everyone.
I plan to boil them to remove the tannins. I just hope it turns out. I spent a lot of time shelling and gathering these.

Update when its done please! We have loads of white oak acorns on our property up north. I'd love to give the squirrels and the deer some competition.

If it's lacking in flavour, distilling it might make an interesting spirit!

(disclaimer: don't do that because it's illegal)

TimothyChurch said:
I have actually read a little on doing this but haven't tried it yet. Acorns are full of tannins and in order to remove them the Indians used to place them in a fast moving stream and the constant flow removed a lot of the tannins. I'd would be very interested in how this turns out

Modern day version: put acorns in a nylon stocking. Hang it in the tank of your toilet. Water will change out every time the toilet is flushed. Remove when water no longer changes color.

A buddy of mine just made an acorn beer. after lots of research and an hour phone conversation with an oldtimer, boil till water is clear is not accurate. He was told boil acorns, switching water every 5-10 min(have next pot of water up to boiling before transfer, do not let acorns cool in between switchover). Taste at each water change, bitterness(tannin) is gone they are ready. Oldtimer said that sometimes they will go to mush and be useless long before the water is clear, thus the taste test in between swapping. So this is the method my buddy used and the beer is sooooo good. He has made this recipe before only w/o the acorns. they added such interesting notes, I cant w8 to hear how this acorn wine turns out.

I am thinking of giving this a try, I have 5 white oaks in my yard and would love to fine a use for the 10 tons of acorns besides ammo for my lawn mower lol. Can anyone tell me how the wine came out, please?

Back