Woops?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgeek1202

Reaction score
This is my second batch after a long absence from HB.

I tried the Palilalia IPA from JoHB 3rd Edition. It was all going fine until.....

1. I forgot to take my sample to get OG. I took a sample about 3 hours after putting the carboy away. Not a big deal...right? My OG is kinda high based on the numbers I should be getting. I'm at 1050 and the book says I should be between 1044 and 1047. Three hours in won't make a difference will it?

2. And this one is the kicker. I had the carboy up on the counter in the kitchen while I cleaned up. While walking past it I saw a drop from the air lock fall into the wort. (I thought it had cooled but I guess not--so I was getting reverse pressure on the lock.) I know they said you can use your sanitizing solution in the air-lock or vodka. My first batch I walked over to liquor cabinet and got the vodka. This time I used my bleach solution of 1Tbs to 1Gal of water. An estimate of about 1Tbs of solution fell into the wort. Question--Should I fertilize my lawn or see what happens?

McGeek

(I'm keeping a small bottle of vodka with my beer making stuff from now on.)

Wow, tough call...........I don't think I would drink out of a Sparklets container if it had a tablespoon of bleach in it. That small of an amount,though? I'd drink it and come up with a clever name like Chloraile or Ailoxe

1 tablespoon of sanitizing solution or a tablespoon of bleach?

If it is the former, it will probably be OK. Definitely let it go and see.

My ever helpful sister-in-law is calling it Down by the Pool IPA. You too can enjoy. Just add a shot of good summertime pool water to your favorite brew.

Thanks sis. LOL

McGeek

With a 1 tablespoon in 1 gallon solution, I seriously doubt that a tablespoon of it is going to matter in 5 gallons. Least it was sanitized water.

Dude, I know this is kind of off-topic, but a friend of mine 8 years ago in high school put 1 capful of bleach into a gallon of water and then chugged it thinking he would pass a drug test (he did, but I think its cause he was so damn skinny).... anyway, he said he couldn't even taste it and it didn't make hime sick either. Interpret that how you will, but I think it will be alright.

Don't worry. Be happy.

1. At three hours, the yeast are still mutliplying, consuming oxygen, and doing their aerobic thing. No attenuation yet, so your OG will be accurate.

2. If one drop of sanitizer (1 tbsp bleach per gallon) got into your wort, it will NEVER affect it. Relax man. If you are still concerned, try putting one drop of pure bleach (not diluted as was the case here) into 5 gallons of pure water (not wort as here) and see if you taste any bleach (not gonna happen).

P.S. Can't beat cheap vodka in the airlock.

That's why you should use vodka instead of bleach. If a little vodka falls in no big deal :drunk:

Just an update. Bottled this batch tonight. Whoo it was good! Even flat is was good..and not a hint of swimming pool. This is why I got back into HB!

McGeek

Back