Ginger Saison Bottling Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A couple of months ago, I brewed my 6th batch, a Ginger Saison from Sam Calagione's Extreme Brewing book. It took a very long time to attenuate, in which time I've brewed up 3 more batches. I started fermentation at an OG of 1.072 at about 72 degrees, with Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison. After about two weeks, I slowly bumped the temp up to the high the high 80's. after about 6 weeks, it finally dropped down to 1.017. At that point, I moved it into a secondary with another 1/2 cup of crystalized ginger, as it didn't have the ginger taste/aroma I was looking for. It's been in the secondary for 2 weeks now, and is down to 1.015. I'm ready to bottle, and am wondering if I should add some more yeast to the bottling bucket, a I'm worried that too much of the yeast has fallen out of suspension. Any thoughts?

The one other thing I worry about is a slight oily looking film on top of it. I'm hoping its just oil from the ginger or something, and I didn't oxygenate it while transferring it to the secondary. I'm usually very careful, but I accidentally splashed it around, a little bit.

Back