Saison No Rye More Reason - Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m00ps

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Omega Yeast Saisonstein\\'s Monster
Yeast Starter
1L
Batch Size (Gallons)
5 gal
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Color
5 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
pitch mid 60s, let it free rise, bottle after 2-3 wks
Tasting Notes
super crisp, slightly fruity, nice sharp spicy bite from the rye, yeast, & zesty hops
===============================================
7.0lb / 57% Pilsner
2.0lb / 16% Rye
1.0lb / 8% Flaked Rye
1.0lb / 8% Wheat
0.5lb / 4% Aromatic Malt
0.75lb / 6% Cane Sugar

@60min: 1 oz Apollo
@10min: 1 oz Pacific Jade & 1 oz Waimea
@0min: 2 oz Pacific Jade & 2 oz Waimea
*hop stand for 30 min before chilling*
@dry: 1 oz Pacific Jade & 1 oz Waimea

@5min: 3g crushed grains of paradise

Mash at 148 for 60
10min mashout at 168F

===============================================

This is my most recent saison. I was shooting for a very hoppy Rye saison. I made to try out this new yeast from Omega Yeast. It sounds like a mixture of the French Saison and Dupont strains but supposedly its different because it its an actual "hybrid strain" not a blend of the two yeasts. (I took this with a grain of salt because I read it from the people debating it over on beeradvocate and Omega Yeast themselves chimed in).

Either way, it's a great saison yeast for my tastes. Nice and spicy at lower temps. I didn;t get too much funk with this one, but I probably covered it with hops. You can really do anything for the fermentation. I usually crank my saisons up past 90F, but I wanted to try and keep this one more on the spicier side to compliment the rye, spices, and peppery hops

Nice recipe. Brewed a small batch of something very similar to this over the weekend. Right down to the 30 minute hopstand. Mostly Pils with 20% malted rye and 5% flaked rye. Differences being I pitched the Private Collection 3726 Farmhouse Ale from Wyeast and an overabundance (for a Saison) of Amarillo hops. Got the pack of yeast free, so wanted to try something different. The carboy is sitting in an 80+ degree water bath. Kind of excited because I haven’t brewed a Saison in a very long time.

edit to add:
I used Agave instead of the Cane Sugar that you used, but both should ferment out fairly clean and dry the beers out a little.

Nice recipe. Brewed a small batch of something very similar to this over the weekend. Right down to the 30 minute hopstand. Mostly Pils with 20% malted rye and 5% flaked rye. Differences being I pitched the Private Collection 3726 Farmhouse Ale from Wyeast and an overabundance (for a Saison) of Amarillo hops. Got the pack of yeast free, so wanted to try something different. The carboy is sitting in an 80+ degree water bath. Kind of excited because I haven’t brewed a Saison in a very long time.

edit to add:
I used Agave instead of the Cane Sugar that you used, but both should ferment out fairly clean and dry the beers out a little.

Hey, I've got a Winter Saison in line for this weekend using that yeast. I was going to get 3711, but figured Id grab that one since its seasonal. Any tips on how it handles or what to expect?

Any tips on how it handles or what to expect?
Sounds like you have a good deal of experience with Saison’s, so I don’t know if I can be much help to you. I did a lot of searching around before and after brewing, but didn't find anything much more helpful than what's already on the Wyeast website. I’d be interested in hearing your recipe and experience with this strain.

I split off 2 gallons of a 10 gallon batch to experiment with this yeast. My thought was that if I like the way it's turning out, I'll harvest the slurry and brew a full size batch.

Pitched without a starter into a 1.064 gravity wort at around 11:00pm. Had chilled the wort into the low 60’s because the rest was pitched with an ale yeast. Put the 3 gallon Saison carboy in a bucket of water with an aquarium heater set at 80 degrees. It was at 78 degrees and had good krausen by morning. I was surprised that the krausen never got more than a couple of inches even though I jacked the temperature into the low 80’s. At four days, most of it has fallen, but there’s still good airlock activity. The best thing is the spicy, sweet aroma in the area where it’s fermenting. The plan is to hold the temperature for a couple of weeks before doing anything else.

Yeah, I had a hard time finding info on the strain too. It seems to be a bit less attenuating than Dupont and the French saison strains. Like the French one, it doesn't need high temps to finish, but it also has that rustic spicy character like Dupont. My winter saison was kind of a dubbel grain bill but with the 3726 strain. I'm going to ferment it below 80 to try and make it spicier. We'll see how well it attenuates since I added some caramunich and dont usually have crystal malts in my saisons.

But this saison from Omega Yeast is pretty awesome. By my numbers it went over 90% attenuation. I'm not sure if its just the Rye, but it left it with a great smooth kind of body and I can still taste the spicy saison esters underneath all the hops I added.

But this saison from Omega Yeast is pretty awesome. By my numbers it went over 90% attenuation. I'm not sure if its just the Rye, but it left it with a great smooth kind of body and I can still taste the spicy saison esters underneath all the hops I added.
Sounds delicious! That’s what I was going for, but not sure how the lower attenuation and other recipe tweaks will change mine.

A question about Saison yeast. What are your thoughts on harvesting? I’ve had great luck with ale yeast fermented on the low side, but going into the 80’s with the Saison strain has me worried. It just doesn’t sound healthy. Since it’s within the temperature range spec from Wyeast, am I just being paranoid?

Sounds delicious! That’s what I was going for, but not sure how the lower attenuation and other recipe tweaks will change mine.

A question about Saison yeast. What are your thoughts on harvesting? I’ve had great luck with ale yeast fermented on the low side, but going into the 80’s with the Saison strain has me worried. It just doesn’t sound healthy. Since it’s within the temperature range spec from Wyeast, am I just being paranoid?

I think you'd be fine. I'm not an yeast expert, but I know that all yeast like warmer temps. People just dont like the flavors most produce at those temps. If anything, you might get healthier yeast from those temperatures.

But I harvest all my yeasts on the other end. I will make a slightly larger starter than I need, and take ~100ml from that to store. It really makes the whole thing easier and get my healthier yeast. This way, you arent harvesting yeast thats been stressed by fermenting an entire brew and exposed to hop compounds. I'm on my 7th generation of a saison blend i made from the Dupont and Belle Saison strains and its still trucking along

Latest posts

Back