released for work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerthirty

big beers turn my gears
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been on the boards a lot the last few weeks due to a very minor shoulder injury that prevented me from working(my company puts safety ahead of profit so unless you are 100% you don't work). After 6 weeks of PT I have been released to return to work.:ban: Since being off all the other guys have been getting quite a bit of OT. Now as my luck would have it work has slowed down and everyone will be doing 40-45hrs. This really sucks. I've been so bored I would go into work sometimes and would end up doing consulting or limited training of some of the newer guys(off the clock). I would see all the equipment waiting to be repaired and thought that I would get some of that coveted OT when I got back. We are used to 50-60 hour weeks with OT payed after 8 everyday and all day on Saturday. I've been told if I want to go to the mines I can still get as much OT as I can handle(for safety they cap at 100hrs per week) but I don't want to go to the mines. I and the other experienced techs have put in several years making that shop the most profitable and sought after shop in the company. Equipment owners will pass 3 other company shops to bring their stuff to us. Lazy asshats don't last in our shop, we let them know there is a dirt pile out back and we have all the equipment to dig a big hole under it. Now they are suggesting that I do it again at the mines. Ya they have deeper holes there, but this was a group effort to make this shop what it is, without the group effort it would be pointless. I don't even hold a lead position. Everyone that was involved in the effort holds a nonsupervisory position. They have tried to increase productivity and profitability from the office end at other shops and while some where moderately successfully, none have touched us. Taking a lead position would make me much more money but the respect that coworkers have for each other is what did it. I have tried to explain it to them and have told our lead if he wants to go to the mines I would happily take his spot here. That didn't go far. Sorry for the rant, anyway I wont be posting during the day anymore and wanted to thank everyone for my crash course in beerology these last weeks. This time hasn't been wasted, I have met a bunch of really great guys and gals with a vast array of knowledge and made many friends also. Cheers to all.

So you sure you don't want one of us to come by and re-dislocate your shoulder so you can hang with us awhile longer?:d

I know what it is like, I have for various reasons, been un-employed, or laid up do to injury a couple times myself...I know how bug awful crazy bored it can get...you know you are seriously screwed in the head, when you actually look forward to going to work! :D

As someone who can post during the day from work, I will miss ya!!!

Thanks revvy, you are one of the many friends I have made here. If I had the money to stay home and brew instead of pittling around trying to upgrade the equipment I might take you up on the shoulder offer:D but the mighty dollar calls(as does the mortgage company and the power company, the gas..........

beerthirty - I understand your frustration. Around a decade ago I helped put together a kick a@@ group of people that was a tight team. We were all salary, took a few years to get rid of the dead weight, then we were rocking an rolling. Then due to cut backs we went from 31 people down to 13 over two years. Lost a lot of great workers and even better friends as they moved on to other job. BTW, the workload just increased and I moved from active supervisor back to tech. Now I have just found out we are being cut down to six people, still no word on what the requirements will be but there is no way we can still provide the 24/7 two man deep support anymore.
Now they want me to put together a cut list, which I can't do until I get the requirements. I am very tempted to find myself and my two best people a new project and put ourselves on the top of the list.
Hey, is moster still the overall best job site out there?

My personal experience has been that almost any organization can be turned around, provided work rules don't prevent you from getting rid of the 'loads'. I doubt if that would be an option in the mine and trying to force people out is likely to get your head busted.

Just goes to show you- The more you improve your shop. The more they want to punish you.

Ive found that while making a killer shop/group is great and I enjoy the time. Management will always want to eventually change that.

Back