Done blowing off. When do I secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalBrewing

Reaction score
I started up an Imperial Stout on Thursday morning. I used a starter that I had made about 3 days prior. I could see some Krausen forming by evening time, but by the next day it was going crazy. I used a blow off, and boy am I glad I did.

The OG was 1.095. I havent taken another sample yet. I honestly hate to take one unless Im transferring because I dont want to contaminate my wort. Maybe you guys have some ideas on how to do that.

Anways, my main qustion is, when would I move to secondary. Its not bubbling so much any more. I cant tell if the Krausen has receded, because it has left a massive layer build up on the top of my carboy. Its now been fermenting for 4 days.

Thanks,
John

Big beer like that, I wouldn't even think about moving it until 3-4 weeks in primary.

As far as taking a reading without contaminating, use a sanitized turkey baster or a wine thief. And dont return the sample to the fermenter after the reading. Drink it...it's for science ;)

Good to know. I was considering moving it to secondary within the next couple of days. I think Ill hold off on that then.

Should I replace the blow off with a standard airlock, or should I wait on that as well?

you can sanitize an airlock and replace the tube when you take your next sample. remember, the secondary is only for clearing the beer. Do not transfer until your beer has reached it's final gravity. and yeah, with a big beer like that it will take at least two weeks.

Back