Starter from Wyeast Activator Pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
I need to make a starter from an Activator Pack. What would be the proper steps to do this? I have made many starters before, just not from the Activator Pack.

What have you been using before? An activator pack ships with 100B cells, which may be more, less, or equal to what you've been using up to this point. Numbers aside, it's just regular yeast. Standard starter procedure...

Same as others. Smack the pack three hours ahead and pitch as usual or make the starter, smack, and pitch immediately. The smack and subsequent inflation is to show yeast viability and rev them up if you're pitching direct.

Advantage with wyeast is that it comes with a nutrient pack vs the vials alone when making a starter.

I smacked mine about 15 minutes ago. I will be making the starter this afternoon and brewing on Wednesday afternoon.

I wasn't sure how the nutrient pack played into the whole process. I guess I was trying to over complicate things. Thanks for the help everyone.

Back