BYO's Westmalle Triple Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf

Reaction score
I want to make the Westmalle Triple Clone from the BYO 150 Classic Clones magazine.
I have everything for this recipe except the 2 lbs sugar. Now the exact recipe says - 2.0 lbs sugar (cane sugar or clear Belgian (rock) candy sugar).
The LHBS only had dark candi sugar.
Do I REALLY want to add 2 lbs of cane sugar as the recipe calls for?

Yes, you do. Don't get too worried about the brewing myth regarding cane sugar and cider flavors. Cane sugar is a standard ingredient in Belgian beers; it is also a traditional ingredient in the British brewing tradition. Used properly, you will get the high alcohol and dryness associated with the Belgian beers you are trying to clone.

Your yeasties will have an easier time converting the sugars if you use rock candy or invert the sugar on your own. However, if you just dump it in the last 15 minutes of the boil, you will be fine.

That dark candy will affect the color of your brew, and you will not have the pale color of the Tripel.

If you look around here or google it, you will find some information about making an invert sugar from that cane sugar. It is pretty easy and your yeast will love you for it.

I've begun wine making recently and I can't believe the number of recipes that include regular sugar. (Almost all of them) It's getting me to re-think what I have read and learned.
Plain ol granulated sugar is much cheaper than the others. :mug:

Thanks for all the replies. The info on invert sugar gave me some better info to search, thats what I'll be using.

Back