Is my yeast dead? (smack pack left out)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elimination

Reaction score
Hey new to the forums but have always been readin ;)

Got a wyeast smack pack thinking I was going to brew later on that night. Activated it, heard it bubbling away, but about an hour later got a call for an emergency. Didnt come home until the next day, and by that time it had been sitting out in atleast 70 degrees for almost 24 hours.

I put in the fridge, hoping it will be ok. But now im wondering if the yeast will still even be alive if I brew today or tommorow. Should I just be cautious and buy another pack? Or just toss them on in?

I would toss it in and see what happens, those things are like 7 bux. I dont see how it would hurt to just try that one and then if it doesn't work pitch with another.

I agree, don't toss it, pitch it. Did the smack pack swell? I've left mine out for days before they swell, so don't sweat it. If it did swell, and you put it in the fridge, the yeast will go to sleep until you warm them up for pitching. If it didn't swell, then there probably isn't enough yeast cells to properly pitch. I'd pull them out and let it swell before brew day. Once the pack swells, if you aren't able to brew on that day, put it back in the fridge to put them to sleep again. Take the pack out of the fridge several hours before you start brewing. By then, they'll be ready to pitch when your wort is cooled down.

Thanks for the positive replies, I didnt want to buy another one...

It did swell a little at first in the hour i was around it originally. But when I got back it was only slightly more swollen then the package originally came before i smacked it. Ill probably brew tommorow so hopefully they will be alive, ill see what happens i guess.

My last experience was similar to homebeerbrewer; the last pack took 2-3 days to swell properly, but worked well in the end. The date on the pack was 7 months old, so maybe just the nutrients took awhile to kick in. These packs seem pretty resilient. I think you'll be just fine...

I've had them swell in 24 hours or so and then take several days to swell. No harm no foul, brew away!

I bought two smack pack Wyeast ringwood ale yeast packs from Austin Homebrew and smacked them let them sit for 6 hours. There was very little swelling and then I made the starter at 1.031 OG and 36 hours later I checked the gravity because my starter didn't look like it normally does and the gravity was 1.030. Is my yeast basically dead? If so does anyone know if Austin Homebrew gives refunds because I followed all instructions correctly and the date on the package was may so it is less than 3 months old and trust me sanitation is not an issue I sanitized everything very well. I haven't made many starters so I am not sure if I should just throw these out. I made two separate starters and neither of the FG were different from the OG afte more than 36 hours on the stir plate...... Any ideas?

I made two separate starters and neither of the FG were different from the OG afte more than 36 hours on the stir plate...... Any ideas?

A 36 hours lag wouldn't be unheard of for two month old yeast. I'd give it another 36 hours to be sure, but it does sound like you could have dead yeast.

Back