Help me out with my first real PM; AHB kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsellout

Reaction score
So I'm brewing the Summit IPA from AHB this Sunday and this will be my first full boil as well as my first real partial mash. Here is the recipe and my plans

1.5 lb Maris Otter
1.25 lb Vienna malt
3/4 lb Cara pils
1/4 lb Cara vienna
7.5 lbs pale LME
4 oz of Summit pellets
Approx OG is 1.072
Approx FG 1.015

So here is my plan:
Make starter the day before with WLP001
Mash grains at 155@60 with approx 1.5 gallons
Sparge@170 with about 3 gallons
Top off to 6.25 and heat to boil, remove and add extract.
Reach boil and add hops on the following schedule:
1/2 oz@60
1 1/4 oz@ 30
3/4 oz@15
3/4 oz@ flameout

Cool with chiller, transfer into primary and aerate, pitch at around 65-68.
Dryhop with 2oz whole Cascade in secondary.

What do you guys think, especially about the mash part.
Promash says the IBU will be around 100 or so.

Thanks

Dan

well, I'm getting my starter going today..scary moment though; I almost popped the drilled stopper into the flask on accident...that would have sucked. I am really excited for this one as I get to use my new gear and finally do a full boil in my garage. I think my next brew will either be an AG coffee chocolate stout or a Cali common. Not sure which yet, but I'll be happy with either one really. I need to order the supplies this week though as I plan on pitching on this yeast cake..now that I think about it, pitching a stout on an IPA cake might be a little weird. California common would work better I think.

Any comments on my plan for tomorrow? I guess no feedback is good feedback:D

Dan

I don't know much about partial mashing...I'd contribute otherwise.

What yeast are you using? You can def still pitch a stout onto an IPA type yeast--preferably better than on a cali common, which really needs the WLP810 lager yeast to be "right".

Dude said:
I don't know much about partuial mashing...I'd contribute otherwise.

What yeast are you using? You can def still pitch a stout onto an IPA type yeast--preferably better than on a cali common, which really needs the WLP810 lager yeast to be "right".

Oh crap I forgot about the lager yeast...stout it is then:D
I guess I had a brain fart on that one..

Hardball said:
If the kit is designed as a partial boil and you are doing a full, it might affect the OG?

It is designed as a partial, but I spoke with the recipe designer at AHB yesterday and he said it will come out the same with a full boil and although I will get better hop utilization he said to just keep everything the same. He said it might be a bit hoppier but that " It's and IPA afterall, it's supposed to be hoppy":D. He also said he was coming up with new directions for the PM recipes they have to improve the system.

I double checked everything with promash and the OG is spot on with what the directions say.

Dan

That's going to be a great beer. But if you were pitching any beer on to a yeast cake, I would be tempted to do it with this one. 72 isn't a huge beer, but it could still benefit from a quick-start fermentation that you get with a yeast cake. If you haven't made a starter yet, you might also think about using two packages of a high attenuation dry yeast, like the Fermentis Safale US-05 American Ale yeast (that's a GREAT yeast) instead.

And if you pitch a stout on top of this, I am guessing it will be something dry and robust instead of a sweet stout? You will get some residual hoppiness from the yeast cake of your IPA.

I made my starter this morning for this beer, so by tomorrow I should hopefully have a nice amount of yeasties. I'm also using my aeration system for the first time, which I'm hoping will help it out as well. I do wish I had a yeast cake to pitch it on though. I am debating on what to brew for my first AG recipe. Part of me wants to do a simple Amber or Brown ale, part of me wants a stout....I still have a bit of time to work it over.

Dan

Take some pics. I just finished an AG Wit yesterday and I'm already anxious to get to my next brew.

Your starter is likely to show some mini-fermentor type action for a while. If it settles down and looks dormant by tonight or tomorrow...don't worry.

You're a mini-step away from AG...

Willsellout said:
I am debating on what to brew for my first AG recipe. Part of me wants to do a simple Amber or Brown ale, part of me wants a stout....I still have a bit of time to work it over.

Dan
Keep in mind when you'll be drinking the beer. Maybe a lighter Kolsch or a Wit...couple good warm weather beers. But I love stout....:D

BierMuncher said:
Keep in mind when you'll be drinking the beer. Maybe a lighter Kolsch or a Wit...couple good warm weather beers. But I love stout....:D

Yeah it might be interesting to make a beer I've never done before...I've never even tasted a Wit before. Definitely gotta be something the wife would like though as she hates the IPA's:D

Dan

Willsellout said:
Definitely gotta be something the wife would like though as she hates the IPA's:D

Dan
Too bad for you....NOT.

Go out and buy yourself a six pack of Blue Moon. It's a belgian wit and has a spicy, fruity tone from coriander and orange peel that is part of the recipe.

It seems to be a popular beer right now. My daughters (drinking age) have asked me to brew something like that and a Belgian wit should get me there..

My SWMBO hates all my beers except tht Koslch. Very mild, non-hoppy and light. It is called the "ales answer to lagered pilsners". Easy recipe and happened to be my first AG brew (see link below).

Back