Recipe doubling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
I have an all grain recipe for a dunkelweizen that I plan on making this weekend. The current recipe is for a 5 gallon batch. I would like to double it to make a 10 gallon batch. In doing so, if I plan my starter tomorrow with a packet of Wyeast (plan is, on a stir plate all week until Sunday when we brew) will the starter grow big enough to use for our 10 gallon batch or should I start off with 2 packets of the yeast?

I don't think letting your starter sit out for a week is a good idea under any circumstance. 36 hours might be a maximum time frame.

Go to:

www.mrmalty.com

And use the yeast pitching rate calculator. It'll tell you how many liters your starter needs to be for the beer you're making.

Reading from How to Brew by John Palmer he says liquid yeast starters can be prepared 4 days prior to brewday. And I am going to smack the pack tomorrow and let it swell for a day before I actually prepare the starter.

Thanks for the link...checking it out now

Ok, so it tells me to start with 2 smack packs. And it says I should start with 1.13 liters of starter. Does that mean I add the 2 smack packs to my flask and then top off with wort until I achieve 1.13 liters in the flask?

Ok, so it tells me to start with 2 smack packs. And it says I should start with 1.13 liters of starter. Does that mean I add the 2 smack packs to my flask and then top off with wort until I achieve 1.13 liters in the flask?

Nope. What it's telling you is that if you don't use a starter you'd need to pitch 2 smack packs into your wort. If you do use a starter, you'll need 1.13L of starter wort for a single pack. And yea, I put the DME in there, and then fill the flask with water to a little over the required volume. I also use a bit of yeast nutrient in there.

The best starter I've made yet was placed on the stir plate the morning of brew day. Jamil Z. advocates making the starter the morning of brew day as well.

I made the starter wort the day before and let it cool in the fridge over night along with the yeast packet. Early the next morning, I pitched the cold yeast into the cold wort, put it on my stir plate and let it gradually warm up to room temp. It was nice and ready to run by the time I pitched about three in the afternoon, and I had active fermentation going in my wort within 3 hours.

Good luck!

Are you sure it says to only start with one packet? Remember, i want to double the recipe for a 10 gallon batch. I entered all my info into mrmaltys yeast pitching rate calculator and its telling me 2 packets even with the stir plate option.

Are you sure it says to only start with one packet? Remember, i want to double the recipe for a 10 gallon batch. I entered all my info into mrmaltys yeast pitching rate calculator and its telling me 2 packets even with the stir plate option.

Oh, you're right. Sorry for the bad info. ;)

Latest posts

Back