Mmmmmm. Chinook....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prosper

Reaction score
I've got an all-chinook APA boiling right now. Never used Chinook before, but they're sure smelling good right about now.

That is all :)

Have used chinook primarily for bittering in my APA's but have never used it as a single hop. Would be interested to hear how this turns out.

I just did Northern brewer's Chinook IPA extract kit and it was excellent. Chinook at 60 minutes, 5 minutes, flameout, and dry-hop. It was a winner. I don't have a terribly educated palate yet, but I'd describe it as a smoky citrus kind of aroma. I served it at a barbecue and everybody liked it.

'smoky citrus' is a good explanation. Sort of cascadey, with an earthy dankness to it.

I'm calling the beer "Old 'Nookie"

This discussion is killing me considering my Chinook IPA keg kicked this week and I have no pipeline to speak of right now.

I made one, it was delicious. I plan to rebrew it at some point. Piney goodness...mine has never tasted or smelled citrusy, I don't know where people get this from. My Chinook was earthy and piney.

Since we are discussing Chinook - what does everyone think it would pair well with? I made a Summit/Nugget IPA and I keep thinking Chinook at bittering and at flavor (about 30-20 from flameout) would be a great addition to that recipe. Plus I have 2 oz whole leaf Chinook in the freezer I am dying to use...

Any others with good pairing hops?

I was just out in my garage... a few ounces of spent hops in the garbage makes everything out there smell delicious :)

I've got an all-chinook APA boiling right now. Never used Chinook before, but they're sure smelling good right about now.

That is all :)

Ahh, Chinook, combining the best elements of used kitty litter and PineSol detergent in one convenient package. :mug:

Ive used it as a single hop sub in a Cali Common (rather than NBrewer). Harsh. Catpee. Pinesol is useful descriptor, too. I may have just overdone it. I dont really care for CTZ variants all that much either, and I kind of get the same thing from them as well...
//not a hop head

I've done a single hop APA with Chinook and accidentally doubled the 15 minute flavor addition. The only word needed to describe that beer was "papaya." Just tons of papaya. I didn't get any pine off of this hop at all.

I've found that as a bittering hop, Chinook does not like high carbonate water. It results a harsh bitterness that takes a quite a while to mellow. Lowering my carbonates made a big difference. I like it in all styles of ales. I haven't tried it yet in a lager, maybe this winter I'll try it in a CAP

well, I put this on keg last night. I really don't get how anyone could call this 'catty' at all. To me, it's like pithy grapefruit-peel with a slight bit of green earthiness - sort of woodsy like moss or fallen leaves. I wouldn't really call it 'pine,' though pine and citrus do have some similarities in my mind, so I could understand how someone might describe it that way. It's not all that different from Cascade, actually, just less sweet, and a little more dank. Other west-coast hops like amarillo and simcoe seem very juicy-fruit to me, sort of a sweet citrus with lots of passionfruit, pineapple and mango, like fruit punch. This one is nothing like that, much more resiny and more like citrus-peel rather than the fruit itself.

I get resiny, minty fruit rind when I drink Arrogant Bastard. I like it here and there and I'm planning on doing an IPA with it and Nugget sometime in the future.

Back