Yeast for Wheat Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
SWMBO, is asking for a wheat beer. I have narrowed it down to two yeast strains I have on hand. I don't care about what style the beer is, I just want it to taste good.

I am having a hard time deciding if I want to go with Bell's Yeast Strain or Hoegaarden Yeast. Both cultured from bottles and brought up to starters.

I am leaning towards bells, since Oberon is so awesome...but Hoegaarden is no slouch either.

According to one website:

3068 Weihenstephan Weizen Yeast.

Probable origin: Weihenstephan, Germany
Beer Styles: German Hefeweissen, Crystal weisse, Dunkel weisse, Weisenbock
Commercial examples may include: Ayinger Weissebeer, Tabernash Wheat, Sandwald, Erdinger Weisse, Schneider Weisse

Unique properties: Classic German wheat beer yeast, used by more German Brewers than any other strain in the production of Wheat beer. Properties dominated by banana ester production, phenols and clove like characteristics. Extremely attenuative yeast, which produces a tart thirst quenching finish. Extremely low floccing yeast remains in suspension readily with proteinacous wheat malt. Sometimes used in conjunction with lager yeast and kerausened to finish the beer and improve the overall dryness. High CO2 levels, typically at 2.7 - 3.2 volumes is desirable for best presentation. True top cropping yeast requires full headspace of 33%. Ester formation is significantly affected by aeration and pitching rates. Crystal weisse production typically requires DE filtration, may prove too difficult for Pad filtration only. Flocculation - low; apparent attenuation 73-77%. (64-75° F, 18-24° C)

When I'm brewing a hefeweizen, I use the Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan. A consistent performer, and puts the correct flavors into the beer.

So do you think that wyeast 3068 is similar to the hoegaarden strain?

I've used 3068 and Wyeast 3944 and I think 3944 is closer to Hoegaarden. 3944 even smelled like Hoegaarden fermenting from my notes. I don't know what others have experienced but when I brewed a wit with the 3944 at 69F ambient it produced waaay too many esters. It was one of my worst beers to date though I would like to try fermenting it at 60F. If I were to do a Hoegaarden clone I would use the 3944 at no more than 60F.

So do you think that wyeast 3068 is similar to the hoegaarden strain?
So you want to make a Witbier/ white beer, not a wheat (American or German -style)?
I like the Hoegaarden yeast, from the bottle or W3944, but (as mentioned) not too warm or the flavours will be off the charts.
if you can get some some, White Labs Belgian Wheat II is my preferred flavour combo.

My notes on a wheat extract brew with 3068: "Slight malt, slight bitter finish, clove and banana balanced without being overpowering."

Back