Can I substitute wheat malt for torrified wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiffcow

Reaction score
So I went to LHBS today, and they didn't have torrified wheat. I'm brewing up a batch of graff, and I was wondering if I can just use regular wheat malt for head retention? If so, should I use the same amount? What are the downsides to this?

I don't know what Graff is, but as far as I know, malted wheat has a different flavor than unmalted wheat. In the threads I've seen for witbiers, it seems that torrified and flaked are somewhat interchangeable, and wheat malt "will work, but it'll taste different".

If you're using it mostly for body/head retention, malted wheat should be fine, I think. But flaked wheat might stay truer to the intended effect.

Disclaimer: I'm a noob as well, I'm just replying because I've been looking at this recently since I've just brewed a wit.

I have just read the recipe. If you're talking about this one, you'll get different results.

The wheat is steeped with crystal grains at 155F. The recipe calls for unmalted wheat, it'll only contribute starch and proteins because there are no enzymes in those grains. If you use malted wheat, the starch will convert into sugar. So I'd go with flaked wheat in this case. But at that small quantity (1oz), if you can't find any type of unmalted wheat at the LHBS I think you could just drop a spoonful of wheat flour in it

I have just read the recipe. If you're talking about this one, you'll get different results.

The wheat is steeped with crystal grains at 155F. The recipe calls for unmalted wheat, it'll only contribute starch and proteins because there are no enzymes in those grains. If you use malted wheat, the starch will convert into sugar. So I'd go with flaked wheat in this case. But at that small quantity (1oz), if you can't find any type of unmalted wheat at the LHBS I think you could just drop a spoonful of wheat flour in it

What if I just steeped it, rather than mashing it?

I'd be tempted just to make one of the two pounds of DME a wheat. That should take care of the protein you're looking for.

Well, i did it. I substituted 4 oz wheat for 1 oz torrified wheat. I hope it comes out okay.

How did the 4 oz wheat for 1 oz torrified wheat substitute work out for you? I working on the same recipe and am considering this sub. Thanks.

Back