Coconut Ice Cream and Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBrianI

Reaction score
I learned something new yesterday. Coconut ice cream and beer don't mix. I'm not sure if this holds true for all ice cream flavors but Ben and Jerry's coconut doesn't go well with beer.

Here's the story. I had dinner at an italian place last night and afterwards stopped by Ben and Jerry's and a scoop of the coconut something or other on a waffle cone. It was yummy! Got home and decided to crack open a homebrew. It was about the worst thing I've ever had. I seriously thought it had gone bad. I couldn't finish the bottle and ended up dumping it out. I figured, hmm maybe the bottle wasn't sanitized well enough so I opened another and gave it a shot. Crap! This one tastes the same! At this point I was scared the whole batch was bad. I ended up drinking the whole bottle this time because I hate to waste anything but felt really bad about the batch. I figured a slow acting infection had gotten to the batch and while they had tasted good for a while, the infection had finally taken over and they were all ruined. Today I got home and tried a couple and they taste great. That got me to thinking what the problem yesterday was, and I remembered the ice cream. It must be something like toothpaste and orange juice. So next time you decide to have a scoop of coconut ice cream, forego the beer that night.

Back