Stuck fermentation? what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mishkin

Reaction score
I'm brewing a lager at about 50F (10C). My OG was 1.050 and its been about 11 days since it started fermenting and its been stuck on 1.023 for like 3 days now. I'm assuming its stuck. what should I do?

well i've never brewed a lager, but its my understanding that 3 weeks in primary is normal. cooler temps = slower metabolizing of sugar by the yeast.

you might want to gently swirl the fermenter (no splashing) just to circulate the yeast a bit.
maybe triple check your thermometer in case its reading warmer than it really is.

Mishkin I am also doing my first lager and it has been in the lagerator fridge for about 12 days. The temp has been between 49-53F since then and there is a 2 inch layer of krausen on it. There is little to no bubbling activity in the airlock but from the TONS of reading I have been doing on the subject, that is common.

As stated at the cold temps for fermenting lager activity can be much slower than ale yeast. The rule of thumb appears to be 3 weeks MINIMUM for primary to be complete, maybe longer.

yeah, I applaud you for taking consecutive gravity readings, but you're jumping the gun assuming it's stuck. Unless it's clearing already, it's just moving along slow and steady. With Ales, a gravity check every day tells the tale. With your lager, check it again in a week and see if it's still dropping. One day to the next just isn't enough time to see much of a change. did you taste the sample to check for diacetyl (buttery taste and texture)?

Back