Holy Fast Carbonization Batman!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Seriously. I have never had a gusher. About 30 minutes ago, I opened one of my Marzens that was bottled 7 days ago. The bottle was only filled about 75% of the way, and it gushed foam out of the top. Surpised? YES!!! First thing I thought was of an infection. I checked the bottle for the tell tale ring, and nothing. After the head on my glass got down to drinking levels, I tried my beer. Nothing but a nice malty flavor with a touch of Hoppiness. DAMNED GOOD BEER!!! So, I am on my second one, and the second didn't "Gush", but it did have about a 1/4 inch of foam that rose in the bottle when I opened it. I am going to cellar the beers now as I think that they are done, but has anyone else had a beer carbonate after this little time? I remember about 12 years ago when I first started brewing that I would drink my beers after 7 days of carbonization, but lately my beers have been taking more like 3 weeks to fully carbonate in a 70 degree setting. Nothing like this batch has done. Happy? Yes. Confused? Even more...

My bottling technique has not changed. 3/4 Cup of Cane Sugar to 16 ounces Water. Also, I kept this beer in the Primary for almost 4 weeks, then I racked to a secondary for 10 days. Onlky thing different was the length of Primary time. Think that has anything to do with this mystery?

In my experience, you will generally pick up more yeast and more active yeast when siphoning straight out of primary. As a result, it carbs up faster, but at the expense of having more yeast in the bottom of the bottle (increasing the risk of a bad pour ruining your beer drinking experience).

Also, I've just accepted that under-filled bottles will wind up overcarbed. Personally, I like to make one bottle like that in every batch and drink it after only 5-7 days. Gives me a good idea of how the beer is going when it's got some early carbonation on it.

Sir Humpsalot said:
In my experience, you will generally pick up more yeast and more active yeast when siphoning straight out of primary. As a result, it carbs up faster, but at the expense of having more yeast in the bottom of the bottle (increasing the risk of a bad pour ruining your beer drinking experience).

Also, I've just accepted that under-filled bottles will wind up overcarbed. Personally, I like to make one bottle like that in every batch and drink it after only 5-7 days. Gives me a good idea of how the beer is going when it's got some early carbonation on it.

This Beer was racked to a Secondary for 10 days though.:confused:

10 days in the primary is very short for a lager, was the fermentation complete?
I don't bottle much these days, but I did bottle my Roggenbier and it was beautifully carbonated in 5 days, this makes sense because there was a lot of yeast in suspension.

Just checked my paper work. In the Primary for 21 days with a SG of 1.051. Racked to my secondary with an FG of 1.016. Was in secondary for 16 days. At Bottling time the Hydro still read 1.016. Also, this beer is not an Authentic Marzen as I used a Wyeast 1187. I brewed an Ale with a very Malty profile.

The FG sounds a touch high

How did you aerate the wort?
Did you make a starter?
What yeast did you use?
(liquid yeast, no starter and poor aeration will cause a yeast to almost nearly stall prematurely, but not quite...)

Any unusual ingredients? Honey? Molasses? undissolved sugar? Anything like that?

I did not aerate the Wort. :( Also, I did not make a Starter. :( As far as the FG, I feel the same way. To darned high...

Iordz said:
You said you wanted it very malty, I think 1.016 is in the range of Ofest/Marzen.

Don't get me wrong here. I think it tastes GERRRRRREAT!!! No complaints here. Just don't want any Bottle Bombs on my hands. I have never had them, and I don't want to start now. I just cellared 2 Cases worth and I put a Blanket over them just in case (Cellar is holding steady at 57 degrees:) ).

I once made a lager batch like that too. And I haven't made a lager since. All the planning and waiting is a major commitment.

That said though, I'll be doing a few lagers this winter. I'm getting back on the horse. But this time, I'm doing it right...

I have a pure O2 source, aeration stone, access to a cold attic, and will take the time to make a full half-gallon or larger starter.

Back