Wierd film on top of cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
Ill try get a pic of it soon but basically, just checked my cider today, its been in secondary for about a 2 months now, and is from fresh pressed apple juice with only a campden tablets added.

It has a small 'island' of white, almost waxy film on the top, and im not sure what, or where it came from.

The cider tates fine, very, very dry, but i plan to sweeten when i bottle it with splenda.

Im hoping this film isnt anythign to worry about

I have not had this problem before, but the usual advice around here is that if it doesn't taste bad or smell bad, it is probably okay. You might rack it.

yea that was my thought,

Just to update im 99% sure what it was.

U brew in 5 gal plastic kegs with screw on tops, which i have to vaseline up to make them air tight, think i used a bit to much and it dripped into my cider.

So petroleum jelly+cider just make a film on the top haha

I just racked this into a keg.
Had a few guys round, and almost finished off 4 gallons of this.

It sat forgotten in my room, since the beginning of last October, made from apples I picked myself and squeezed with the most crude form of milling/pressing.

Unfortunately I did not make any this year, as this was excellent! It was very dry, which I liked, but added a cup of sweetener just to sweeten it, and its great!

Just thought id share my success, from what I thought was a lost!

well that's good that you didn't dump it!
if only we can come up with a humorous name for it....

cider lube?

Latest posts

Back