Show us your Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added a 6 faucet drip tray/back splash combo a friend gave me. Nice to have a drain now and room for another faucet down the road, maybe a nitro???

IMG_0892-L.jpg

This is a GE 7 cubic ft freezer conversion. Black chalkboard paint, pine 1x8 collar with stone textured paint, 4 Perlick 630 all SS faucets, Taprite regulator with 4-way manifold and 4 Corney kegs. My first beer was Dunkelweizen, shown on tap, and it came out excellent. Temperature control is external with a custom made box with Eliwell 915 controller and high current relays. I am an electrical engineer so the skills came handy in building control boxes for keezer and fermentor. Collar is hinged to the mainfreezer body for easy keg loading and the lid is hinged to the collar with an extra set of identical freezer hinges. The keezer turned out decent considering that this is my first build.

View attachment 1448503220737.jpg

View attachment 1448503244968.jpg

View attachment 1448503257647.jpg

2 ball lock keg system.

Perlicks and all stainless components. Went with the dual gauge regulator since I love hefeweizens and wanted to have different carb profiles for each beer.

Went with a tile collar since I had extra tile from a kitchen backsplash diy.

View attachment 1448596316503.jpg

View attachment 1448596375340.jpg

Finally in a functional state. Both kegs filled and carbonating. Being patient with these as theyre my christmas beers. Got a few small updates i want to do to make the kegerator perfect but its running. Really cant for the first pour. Cheers to all you who gave me the inspiration for it. Next project is a keezer but not yet.

image.jpg

After years of watching this thread for inspiration, I finally built my kegerator. My requirements are it had to look nice enough for the basement, have an ice maker, and fit 4 kegs with at least 2 taps. This does it and there is space to add 2 more taps in the near future. Except for the faucets, I picked up at the equipment on craigslist over the late 1.5 years. Thanks everyone!

Quick update: added a few photos of the drip tray. I got to excited and posted the other photos before I was done

20151127_221623.jpg

20151127_221557.jpg

20151127_223042.jpg

20151127_221606.jpg

20151119_073608.jpg

20151125_050711.jpg

20151128_135121.jpg

20151208_215609.jpg

20151208_215619.jpg

I used a bunch of rare earth magnets from amazon. I got the tray cheap also from there. I over killed it but it holds a full beer without budging

Still have a link for those magents? I'm looking to do about the same as you did for the drip tray

Our second child is due in January, and I know once the boy comes, my time to brew and do brew related tasks will be severely limited, so I am taking every open Saturday and claiming it for double brew days so that I can stockpile enough for a year or two and be ok.

Exactly my situation...
depending on how old your first is, it's not too bad.
I started brewing pretty much again about 2-3 weeks ago, my 2nd is about 4 months old now. My son (first born) comes in and helps sometimes, but usually sits in his high chair and smells hops and plays with his cars while i'm doing some of the tasks.

i have the ease of electric brewing though, i can set it and forget it while i'm helping the wife out with the kids.

although if i had an autosparge from blichmann that would help a ton... might look into that soon

I'm curious for all of the vintage stand up refrigerator people, how many kegs are you able to fit in there? I'd like to trade in my chest freezer and refinish an old fridge, but would really like to fit 4 kegs if at all possible.

Exactly my situation...
depending on how old your first is, it's not too bad.
I started brewing pretty much again about 2-3 weeks ago, my 2nd is about 4 months old now. My son (first born) comes in and helps sometimes, but usually sits in his high chair and smells hops and plays with his cars while i'm doing some of the tasks.

i have the ease of electric brewing though, i can set it and forget it while i'm helping the wife out with the kids.

although if i had an autosparge from blichmann that would help a ton... might look into that soon

My daughter is 4 years old, and she does like to come down throughout the brew day to sit and help with small tasks, as well as ride her tricycle and bicycle in the garage.

I wish I were electric, that would definitely make things easier for me, I just can't justify the cost right now.

I have so much beer though, I am really not worried about it at all. I have all 14 taps flowing with backups, and I still have 15 gallons in the fermentors. Even if I couldn't brew starting now, I would still have enough on hand for at least a few years, most likely, though I would be breaking into the high alcohol stuff at that point (aged RIS's, barleywines, lots of meads, etc.)

I'm curious for all of the vintage stand up refrigerator people, how many kegs are you able to fit in there? I'd like to trade in my chest freezer and refinish an old fridge, but would really like to fit 4 kegs if at all possible.

A standard fridge with a freezer compartment will usually hold four to five kegs. A side by side modified to turn the freezer into another refrigerated compartment can yield 8 to 10, possably even 12 kegs. I got 8 in mine with extra space for bottles. The fridge side could hold up to eight I suppose if stacked properly, however that would be a tight fit.

IMG_5135 (533x800).jpg

A standard fridge with a freezer compartment will usually hold four to five kegs. A side by side modified to turn the freezer into another refrigerated compartment can yield 8 to 10, possably even 12 kegs. I got 8 in mine with extra space for bottles. The fridge side could hold up to eight I suppose if stacked properly, however that would be a tight fit.
How does the temp controller work between the freezer and fridge or did you have to do some wiring mods to make it cool both spaces equally?

Uprights are always available for cheap/free and I could then use my current chest keezer as my ferm chamber and have them all in the basement. My current ferm chamber is a 1950's chest freezer (read HEAVY) and there is no way that is getting moved to the basement.

Hi. I have three pin-locks plus a 10 lb CO2 tank. If I relocated the tank outside, I'm sure I could fit four. Ball lock kegs are a little taller and I'm not sure they would fit height-wise without removing the sliding tray and bumping into the freezer. The fridge is about 56" tall and 24 inches wide. Below is an outside pic and and before and after inside pics showing the fitment.

WP_20151030_002_zpsodn67l8u.jpg

fridge_zpsup19ziaj.jpg

beer_zpsup7qdnme.jpg

How does the temp controller work between the freezer and fridge or did you have to do some wiring mods to make it cool both spaces equally?

I use two stc 1000 controlers. One with the temp probe on the fridge side, and with the compressor connected to the cooling relay. The other with the temp probe on the freezer side, with the heating relay hooked up to a pair of fans installed in the partition, facing opposite directions.That way if the freezer side gets too cold, the fans kick in, distributing the cold air evenly. When the fridge side gets too warm, the compressor kicks in, cooling the freezer side and then activating the fans. Keeping the air circulating prevents prevents stratification. Also the fans run regardless of whether the compressor is running or not.
Angle iron on the freezer side supports the kegs easily and still allow easy movement and attachment of air lines.
I wanted a unit that held as many kegs as possible using the least amount of floor space. Top/ bottom freezer units have a superfluous freezer compartment that i didn't need. The side by side was the best solution for what I needed.
If you go this route, be sure to measure, as not all side by sides are the same. Some have a larger freezer area, which restricts the fridge area width.

IMG_5127 (533x800).jpg

IMG_7067 (640x427).jpg

IMG_5116 (800x533).jpg

IMG_5124 (533x800).jpg

IMG_5125 (533x800).jpg

IMG_5134 (800x533).jpg

I've done a final modification to my walk-in, at least for the near term. I added stemware racks above the coffin box to hold most of the glassware:
23107916573_d853c34919_c.jpg

Do you plan to put some sort of finish coat, or leave it rough lumber. I'm not criticizing you. I think what you have is cool, and that it has a manly charm as it is. Just curious about your plans.

I've thought about it, but I'm going to leave it for now. It may be a future project!

That's a hell of a lot of beer taps! May be a dumb question, but is this a commercial rig? Haha

My build. 3 tap Keezer using a 5.1cf Danby freezer. 2x5g and 1x2.5g.
I also did the glass cabinet. The bottom part is holding the 13lbs CO2 bottle.

That's. Really beautiful build. I want to do something like that to my best up McNasty keezer. Did you leave space or put a cooling fan in there somewhere to deal with the heat of the freezer's condenser coil?

This may have been covered and I missed it, but for those of you who are using fridges, how did to determine where the freon lines were so you knew where you could drill?

This may have been covered and I missed it, but for those of you who are using fridges, how did to determine where the freon lines were so you knew where you could drill?

This is more a "show me" thread than a DIY thread. Repost your question in the DIY section and I'm sure you'll get lots of help. ;)

Finally got around to finishing mine. I lost track long ago how much time and money I have in this keezer but I love it. 7.2 cu ft, can fit 4, 5 gal. cronies on the floor. I have to give a special thanks to user "GrainToGlass" whose build I modeled mine after and who answered the numerous questions I fired off to him. (Not sure if/where I'm going to attach that 2nd fan yet)

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452133743.671255.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452133777.690632.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452133794.656362.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452133822.225077.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452133843.379508.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452133874.164467.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1452133907.601276.jpg

I don't think I have posted in this thread before before. Here are a few shot of my keezer. It will hold three kegs plus a 5lb tank. I have a dual regulator so I can have two carb pressures. Sometimes the kids talk me into a rootbeer.

I really like how you framed in the taps/back splash/drip tray. I'm a coffin top guy myself but I'm digging this keezer with collar mounted taps. Nice job!

Back