Cold Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmdrico7812

Reaction score
So I just picked up 10 gallons of unpreserved (not sure if it's unpasturized) cider from a local orchard. I'm going to add 4 lbs. of dextrose to it and use champagne yeast to ferment (a twist on Apfelwine). The cider has been in their larger cooler since it came out of the press.

My question is, should I let the cider get warm before I add the yeast, or can I simply pitch the yeast at a cooler temperature and then let it warm up? Would that work? Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks so much!

Eric

I get my cider from a local orchard that also keeps theirs in a large, walk in, cooler.
I usually just let the cider sit out while I get the fermenter cleaned and sanitized. Sometimes I may even go and do other things while the cider is warming up. Once the cider warms up to the "brewery's" temp, I dump it into the fermenter, aerate, add anything else that I may be putting in the batch, and pitch the yeast.

:tank:

Back