Chocolate Oatmeal Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewForMe

Reaction score
I just finished brewing my Irish Red and am already thinking about my next batch. I am thinking of something that may be a bit more challenging but am having a hard time to find a recipe. A friend was over today and all he could talk about was Trout Rivers new Cocoalate Oatmeal Stout. It got me thinking I would like to try something like that, just sounds tasty. Can anyone help me with an extract recipe for this or is it not a good idea.

I am not set up for all grain, but i could probably handle a partial mash. Any help I could get would be great, point me in the right direction. You guys are right, it is an addiction and i love to brew.

Oatmeal really should be mashed with something with enzymes (like pale malt).

Here is a batch I did a few years ago that I really enjoyed. You can swap out ~5 lbs of the golden promise for pale malt extract (the amount will depend on your efficiency). If you can't find GP, you can use Maris Otter or even American Pale "2-row"

5 gallons:
7.5 lbs Golden Promise
15 oz Oatmeal
10 oz CaraMunich
10 oz Black patent
5 oz Chocolate malt

OG 1.053

Enough hops at the start of the boil to get IBUs in the mid-low 20’s (I’ll probably use Nugget)

Ferment in the 60s with WY1056 (001, US-05, or even something English).

For chocolate I like cocoa powder (mix it with some hot water to make a paste and add it to the secondary). Some vanilla also tends to help chocolate beers taste more chocolaty.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Thank you for this recipe, I will research mashing a little (or alot) more and see what I can do with it. Adding vanilla sounds like a tasty idea, SWMBO is demanding something chocolatey so the more the merrier. Asmy 13 year old says, if mom's not happy, nobody is happy!

Back