Whit fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leapdog

Reaction score
Hey all. Brewed a whit just shy of three weeks ago using WLP400 Belgian Whit. The fermentation went pretty much as planned with plenty of activity over the first 3-5 days. Things relaxed after that but the krausen has yet to drop. i have been rdwhahb multiple times over the past week or so but figured i would see if anyone out there has had similar results with either this yeast or any others...
thanks in advance

I have had the same issue for the past two wits I have made. I took a gravity reading the first time and it was around 1.024 so it was obvious that they didn't finish the job. So both times I sprinkled some Nottingham dry yeast in there and they cleared it up within a few days.

My thought as to why it happened for me was temp. The first time it was in my basement and I think at night it was dropping down to low and then the second time was in my new apartment and it was in a corner which turned out got pretty cool (like 58). So I have since moved my fermenters right underneath the thermostat.

But I would be curious to know if anyone else has any other possible causes.

Did you make a starter out of your WLP400 tube, or did you just pitch the tube? Pitching just the tube is not enough yeast generally...

i just pitched the tube. is it not enough for this style, or in general with all liquid yeasts? my temps should be fine. if anything, it was on the warm side to start with and for the past two weeks, it has hovered right between 65-70. should i drop in some dry to finish the job? if so, what dry am i looking for? little nervous about throwing nottinghams in there since its a whit.

Back