MoreBeer honey ale- GF

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyc318

Reaction score
Anyone done this kit? I bought it for the wife.
Recipe is 6# sorghum 1.5# honey 1#dried rice extract 4oz maltodextrin
1oz Saaz 3.2% @30 .5oz Saaz 3.2% @15
Pitch us 05
I was thinking about putting the first ounce back to 60 and then adding another .5oz of Saaz at 10 or 5.
Brewers friends sight says this recipe should be close to 1.064 and MoreBeer says 1.055- 1.060. Thoughts?

Anyone done this kit? I bought it for the wife.
Recipe is 6# sorghum 1.5# honey 1#dried rice extract 4oz maltodextrin
1oz Saaz 3.2% @30 .5oz Saaz 3.2% @15
Pitch us 05
I was thinking about putting the first ounce back to 60 and then adding another .5oz of Saaz at 10 or 5.
Brewers friends sight says this recipe should be close to 1.064 and MoreBeer says 1.055- 1.060. Thoughts?

Sounds like a decent recipe to me. It does seem a little unusual that they are doing the hops at 30 minutes, are the instructions for a total 30 minute boil time?

dorklord said:
Sounds like a decent recipe to me. It does seem a little unusual that they are doing the hops at 30 minutes, are the instructions for a total 30 minute boil time?

Instructions say to boil all of the fermentables for 60. I'm thinking its a misprint.

Do you think 1 pack of 05 will be ok?

Should be. I use one pack of dry yeast in all my brews.

Most of the pitching calculators seem to think that 1 of the 11.5 gram packets of dry yeast (which is what I think all the fermentis yeast is available in?) is sufficient. EDIT: for an ale of this gravity.

Also, as a note, if this is your first GF brew, you can expect that fermentation will be a little slower than it would be for a non-gf beer with the same yeast, gravity, etc...

US-05 is insane. You can underpitch it at 60 F and it will still take off just fine. I know because I do it all the time.
Looks like a good recipe. I say jump into the gluten free waters.:tank:

Thanks all for the confirmation. I will move ahead as scheduled. I will make sure to aerate the heck out of the wort before pitching. Probably ferment around 65. 05 is a work horse. This will be my 4th attempt at a GF for my wife. The first two had s-04 the third with Notty. All three had a bit of a wine like taste to them. Not very good. Also, the third crapped out on my and was under attenuated. Hoping us-05 will give a better result.

Back