Fermentation Temps Fluctuations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

professorbrother

Reaction score
So,

I'm brewing an interesting wheat stout ale from austin homebrew w/ an original gravity about 1.060. Since I didn't want to deal (or have ever tried) a starter it was recommended I pitch more yeast (two vials of London Ale/White Labs) in order to have enough "kids in the pool."

All was fine after the first 24 hours of fermentation, lot's of activity, however, I noticed a rapid drop off in activity after about 36 hours. I don't have a fermentation chiller (I use a closet) and since I live in Austin, it's still quite warm out. I noticed I started reaching the 78-80 degree range and decided I needed to cool the batch down in the fridge. As calmly as possible, I moved the batch to the fridge.

Now, because of a combination of allergies (thanks central Texas) and allergy medicine I passed out and left the batch in the fridge overnight. I awoke to find my batch had cooled to 55 degrees. I pulled it out this morning, placed it back into the closet where it now is. It was still showing activity (airlock bubbles) throughout the day, but has now (15 hours later and at 72 degrees) showing more life then when I freaked out and put it in the fridge.

Basically I was curious if anyone thought this was a destructive thing to do and/or any other thoughts?

I can't say I've done that, but I'd be less worried about a big temperature dip than I would be about a big spike. I wouldn't expect anything bad to come of it.

Latest posts

Back