Homemade juice in hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nerro

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have made cider a few times now and I must say I like it a lot. Hard cider is not a drink that one commonly encounters in bars/pubs here in the Netherlands and I'm starting to think that maybe it ought to be! It's especially good when it comes from the fridge all nice and cold and bubbly! Hmmm.....

But I digress.

All the times that I made cider I used store bought juice of several different brands (never mixed though). The difference in taste seemed to be negligible... Which made me wonder, would the cider taste better when made from juice that just came out of the apples. So I bought a bunch of apples, 10 of them. Jonagold brand, not too sweet, not too sour. I mashed them in our blender and strained the juice through a clean cloth. I boiled the juice for ten minutes to kill any microbes, during boiling I added 3,2 ounces of dextrose and a teaspoon of DAP. The volume was 1L exactly. I pitched ale yeast when the broth had cooled to 100 degrees Fahrenheit because I had to go somewhere and I had no more time. When I came back an hour later the juice was bubbling very hard already! I put an airlock on it and put it in a dark room at 20 degrees Celsius to ferment. It's really going crazy right now! I'm going to bottle it once it's cleared and I'm going to prime it with one heaped teaspoon of table sugar per 1/2 L.

Does anyone have any ideas why this may be fermenting so hard and does anyone have any idea how this will taste?

Any other suggestions/tips/criticism are appreciated.

Disclaimer:
I'm no expert so get confirmation on anything I say...

A lot of people don't boil juice because it can cause a pectin haze that won't clear... You can try being gentler and attempting to pasturize it... Or go with the wine makers on this and use campdon tablets to kill off the wild yeasts etc...

Tastes, absolutely, fkn, awesome!

Really! Aweeeesome!

It hasn't even aged properly yet.

I can recommend the use of home pressed apple juice in cider to everybody!

Back