Would this work for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For an extra $30 you can get a SQ-14 burner and 10 gallon pot.

I'm not sure this technology works as well when heating water.

No, what you want is a burner with a pot.

30 qt. Turkey Fryer-815-4001-S at The Home Depot

That one ^^^ is what I have. Works well, but it's a little low on the BTUs, but that's fine for now, just takes a little while to boil. Super cheap, though, and maintains an excellent rolling boil.

The only thing to look out for is that it has a lip to hold exactly that one pot. A larger pot (in diameter) wouldn't work, which is an issue I will run into later, on, but not before I start looking for a faster boil. I'd say that 7.5 gallon will last you a good, long time. For $40, you can hardly go wrong, it's a great starter if you're on a budget.

A lot of people use the Bayou burners, do an amazon search. Those move some serious heat, but are a little more spendy, plus no big pot. You do get the luxury of picking your own pot, and potentially upgrading later though.

I would recommend no less than the capability of a full boil or you will have to upgrade when you get serious. Buy it right or buy it twice. What h22lude recommended would be perfect and you can always fry turkey to.

That one ^^^ is what I have. Works well, but it's a little low on the BTUs, but that's fine for now, just takes a little while to boil. Super cheap, though, and maintains an excellent rolling boil.

The only thing to look out for is that it has a lip to hold exactly that one pot. A larger pot (in diameter) wouldn't work, which is an issue I will run into later, on, but not before I start looking for a faster boil. I'd say that 7.5 gallon will last you a good, long time. For $40, you can hardly go wrong, it's a great starter if you're on a budget.

A lot of people use the Bayou burners, do an amazon search. Those move some serious heat, but are a little more spendy, plus no big pot. You do get the luxury of picking your own pot, and potentially upgrading later though.

Do you have any issue with boil overs while doing 5 gal full boils in 30 qts?

Figures it's sold out.:mad: I could actual use that for a turkey.

edit: oh shiz! it's at my local hd!:ban:

I just started doing BIAB using the sticky in the all-grain section and it says to start with 7.5 gallons of water. That right there would bring you to the top of the kettle. Once you add the grains, you would have overflow of water.

If you will be doing extract full boil or even all-grain non BIAB you can use the 30 quart but it would be close. There have been plenty of times (not just with brewing) that I went with the cheaper option with the mindset that I would upgrade later only to find out that after using this cheaper item I really want to upgrade now. Don't settle for the smaller kettle and burner just to get it now. You will only be spending more money in the long run.

The $40 HD fryer seems like a really good deal but if 2 months down the road you find out you want something bigger, well that $40 deal isn't a deal anymore.

All I'm saying is don't buy for now, buy for the future. If in 6 months you want to do BIAB, save your money until you can afford to buy a bigger kettle and burner.

I just started doing BIAB using the sticky in the all-grain section and it says to start with 7.5 gallons of water. That right there would bring you to the top of the kettle. Once you add the grains, you would have overflow of water.

If you will be doing extract full boil or even all-grain non BIAB you can use the 30 quart but it would be close. There have been plenty of times (not just with brewing) that I went with the cheaper option with the mindset that I would upgrade later only to find out that after using this cheaper item I really want to upgrade now. Don't settle for the smaller kettle and burner just to get it now. You will only be spending more money in the long run.

The $40 HD fryer seems like a really good deal but if 2 months down the road you find out you want something bigger, well that $40 deal isn't a deal anymore.

All I'm saying is don't buy for now, buy for the future. If in 6 months you want to do BIAB, save your money until you can afford to buy a bigger kettle and burner.

Thanks, I recognize your point. I don't think I will be going hard core any time soon though. I did a lot of extract + grains batches back before the internet and screwed a lot of them up pretty good (mostly from impatience and probably uncleanliness) I can tell you I learned as much or more in the past week of youtube/ hbt forum viewing than in my 5+ years of home brewing that I feel confident stepping back in the old shoes and fixing my mistakes. I want to master the extract and minor grain additions before jumping in to all grains. $40 might just be what I need. I have a 2+ gallon steel pan as well If I need. I kind of dig those youtube guys that brew all grain out of a keg. I might give that a shot one day who knows.:cross:

Now I just need to figure out how to adapt that propane tank threading on the unit to fit my wall gas valve on the wall outside.:rockin:

Now I just need to figure out how to adapt that propane tank threading on the unit to fit my wall gas valve on the wall outside.:rockin:

Your wall gas valve is propane, right? Just making sure you're not going to try to hook up a propane burner to a natural gas line...

You can hook to the natural gas line you just have to have a compatible burner... I know some of the new grills i was looking at had an upgrade kit to convert the grill to ng

Not yet homebrewing...
Sent from my Thunderbolt using Home Brew Talk

You can hook to the natural gas line you just have to have a compatible burner... I know some of the new grills i was looking at had an upgrade kit to convert the grill to ng

Not yet homebrewing...
Sent from my Thunderbolt using Home Brew Talk

Yeah I never thought about it. My dryer and stove both have special nozzles included for propane hookup. I should have put 2 and 2. I'll look around though.

Latest posts

Back