First Batch is Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcreveli

Reaction score
Well,

I just locked down the fermentation lock on my bucket and away we go. Fortunately I won't have much of a chance to fuss since I will be away until Saturday.

My only regret is that I didn't have time to cool wort further, The final temp at pitching was 70f. Unfortunately We are about to leave the state so I had to pitch or get off the pot :)

So I got home about 30 minutes ago and noticed that while I set the heat to 62, I had the heat switched off while I was brewing so the house was at 56 when I got home. The thermometer stuck to the side of my bucket was reading 57. The good news is that while I know it's not a reliable indicator the fermentation lock is stedily realing a few bubbles every minute.

What type of yeast did you use ?
US-05 and Nottingham I have used with great success do very well at lower temperatures.

If temps get much lower I would suggest a heating pad set on its lowest setting underneath the fermenter. Or you could "dress" your bucket with a spare jacket.

I have the heat back on now so it will slowly go back up. I do have the bucket wrapped with a couple of towels. This is mainly to keep the light out but I'm sure it's helping slow any temperature fluctuations.

remember too that the temperature inside your bucket will be about 5 degrees higher than the ambient during active fermentation. Low 60s is perfect for US-05.

remember too that the temperature inside your bucket will be about 5 degrees higher than the ambient during active fermentation. Low 60s is perfect for US-05.

I Figured the yeast had to generate some heat during fermentation, I just wasn't sure how much. The thermometer that I stuck to the side of the bucket is still reading 62.

Back