Lagering question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DylansDad

Reaction score
Hi,
Here's the scenario:

-I had a American lager (from Morebeer) in the primary for 3 weeks at 50 degrees.
-It hit a Gravity of 1.012 and I did the diacetyl rest for 2 days at 60 degrees). (which may have been late, I was too busy that week to actually think about the beer).
-I siphoned it to the secondary and put it in a wine fridge set on coldest (about 35-40 degrees)
-I went camping for 3 days.

So here is the question, since I didn't slowly get the temperature down to the high 30s, did I shock the yeast? There is no way to tell how quickly the fermenter got to it's current temp. I know I didn't screw it up too badly, the sample was good when I put it in the secondary. However, do I need to worry or think about this at all? Or should it just sit for a minimum of 6 weeks and consider it fine? It's the whole instant cold thing that makes me wonder.

Thanks,
Dave

ps. I brought my recent works: Saison and Amber Ale camping and they were huge hits! Gotta love home brew!

Back