First 5 gallon batch. Need recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shauntraxler

Reaction score
Hey peeps.

I've been brewing with a severely modified Mr. Beer setup for a while now. I'm over it. So I got myself the equipment to progress up to 5 gallons.

I've brewed quite a few of the basic brews (stout, IPA, APA, Nut Brown, Weizen-Bock blah blah blah)...

I want some ideas for my first 5 gallon adventure and something I haven't brewed before... But I also don't want it to have to age for 6 months. So no Barleywines, IIPA's, RIS, etc. Any suggestions?

:)

Hmmmmmmm. It's possible. I guess, I was looking for something a bit more interesting and progressive. It don't mind racking to the secondary for a couple weeks.. I just don't want to have to bottle condition for half a year.

Maybe I'll do an ESB. Any got a favorite recipe?

I'd actually recommend you start with something on the basic side, which has been heavily brewed and reviewed. Pick a style you really like, then find a recipe that is very popular. This will allow you to receive good knowledgeable advice during the steps along the way, and troubleshoot any results you are unhappy with on the finished product. Choosing a tried and true simple recipe also allows you to focus more on the process, which is what will be a bit alien to you until you get a few batches under your belt on the new system.

Alright guys.. I've been brewing and researching for a while now. I'm no expert but I'm definitely no n00b either. It's just my first step up from 2.5 ga to 5ga. lol..

I can handle something a bit more involved.

Well, considering money has been an issue as of late, the furthest I've gotten equipment wise is extract with specialties... I could actually attempt a PM with what I've got... So i'll try either...

Oh, and yeah.. That caramel amber sounds delicious! 30 days in the primary?! Ugh! Haha. I'm too new to this to wait a month before racking!

Grab one of the austin home brew 20th anniversary kits for $20. especially if money is a concern. They seem to be a huge hit and come in extract, PM and all grain versions. There is even an ESB. That would be a cheap way to step up and try it out without breaking the bank. Also a cheap way to try a PM recupe to see how that works with your equipment.

What do you mean by more involved? Something with a more complicated process? Or something with lots of specialty grains?

Maybe try a SmaSh? Going to keg my Pilsen/Hallertaurer today, and maybe brew a a Rye/Wheat/Pilsen later on during the evening.

Zeekage: The AHB kits is an idea. However, I'm not big on kits. I enjoy designing everything from scratch with 'influence' lol. And as far as more involved... I guess I didn't mean more specialties or anything... I just meant, in a nut shell, more ingredients. You know? Sure, I could brew a pale ale with DME, Hops, and yeast. But why do that why you could attempt to progress the beer with other inclusions. I know this goes against everything in the beer world (specifically that Long-named German Law that starts with an 'R' lol.)... But that's me, and that's how I want to brew. :) So that's what I meant by more involved. Maybe just a few more ingredients... Pale ale with cucumber and ginger or something.. lol.

And Pick: You know... SMaSH's have been catching my eye lately. That could be fun. Any recommendations?

Back