Body

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If a brew ferments out a little more than wanted. Say 1006 when the target was 1012 could Maltro Dextrin be added alon with DME at bottling time to pull it back a bit? Would the Maltro Dextrin add anything to the Carbonation?

Maltro Dextrin be added alon with DME at bottling time to pull it back a bit? Would the Maltro Dextrin add anything to the Carbonation?

MD will bring the SG up and add mouth-feel/body. It won't carbonate, though.

orfy said:
That's what I'm after, a thicker feeling brew.

So do you reckon I can add some at bottling time?

Yes you add it at bottling time

Quick question for those of us that aren't quite learn-ed.

wont adding that at bottling time make it a sweeter beer?

Nwcw2001 said:
Quick question for those of us that aren't quite learn-ed.

wont adding that at bottling time make it a sweeter beer?
Malto-dextrin adds mouthfeel without any residual sweetness, but, respectfully, there's only one person who would recommend it be added at bottling time.

I added my maltodextrin really late in the boil (about 15 minutes left) and it seems to have boosted my FG. My hydrometer says that it's at about 1.030, but it sure doesn't taste that sweet. I put up an earlier post about this and someone said that it is because the MD throws off the gravity reading, and some people suggest adding it at bottling. Anyone else had it throw off a gravity reading?

Johnwongfat said:
I added my maltodextrin really late in the boil (about 15 minutes left) and it seems to have boosted my FG. My hydrometer says that it's at about 1.030, but it sure doesn't taste that sweet. I put up an earlier post about this and someone said that it is because the MD throws off the gravity reading, and some people suggest adding it at bottling. Anyone else had it throw off a gravity reading?

It is used specifically to increase the body of a brew, so of course it increases the specific gravity. It doesn't "throw off" the reading; it actually changes the gravity.

homebrewer_99 said:
I always added it at the beginning of the boil. I've never read any recommendation to add it at bottling time.

Anyone have a source for this info?:confused:
I don't think he's biting, Bill. :rolleyes:

I did an extract brew that fermented to 1007 and it felt/tasted thin so I was thinking it'd add body to it.

If never read that it's been done. (First time for everything) I've added some along with dme for prinming. It was a cheep brew and I've kegged it. I'll leave it a couple of weeks and sample it.

I boiled it with the DME before adding, I'll report back if it's worked.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm having to put in a fair few work hours at present. (Not for long I hope).

El Pistolero said:
But MD doesn't add sweetness...so why would you do that?

According to Papizan it does.
Joy of home brewing 2nd edition page 92.

..."The presence of these fermentables in beer lend body, foam stability and a residual sweetness to the finished beer."...

According to my research it does inpart some sweetness but not very much. Various sources seem to conflict each other on this. I have heard of it used in cider to make it slightly sweeter, though I don't know anyone who has tired that.

I find it annoying that many products stated to do one hting by one manufature/supplier and another by the next. Quite often hearsay gets repeated mroe often than scientific or practical proof.

Look at mash hopping etc. lots of statements for and against but no scientific referance to how it actually works. What are the infulencing factors? Why does it work for some annot for others? Is it temp? PH? Water composition? Altitude? Praying? Dancing to Beer Gods? or farting in the carboy?

So.. haveing not tried using maltodextrin I can't say for sure either way.

I'm buying some soon so I'll try it in a few bottles and compare it to the others. I have a feeling you have to add more than you usually do for head retention/mouthfeel for noticeable sweetness. Since it is 3% - 12% fermenatable I wouldn't be suprised though.

Oh I forgto to add.. You could also try steeping some crystal malt at 170, starining and adding some of that to the secondary to raise the fg. There's very little fermenatble sugar in crystal malt. A crystal 10 would work best if you don't want the flavor/SRM to change to much.

DeRoux's Broux said:
how was Italy orfy?

Superb thanks.

It's the 3rd time in 2 months. The wife loved Venice at christmas. I think she liked the shopping.

Pizza for Christmas Lunch was diffferent. (Made up for it in the evening with a Posh meal on the Grand Canal) The Orchestra in a church on Chrismas Day was also nice.

lol, thanks for clarifying, guys. Was afraid happy mug had a few too many :D

Back on topic, the malto dextrin is usually added during the boil, but I can't think of any reason that it wouldn't work adding it at bottling.

The Happy Mug should be allowed to pass his Senior Member status on to his new user name The Drunk and Surly Mug.:D

This has got to be the longest thread about bottling with malto dexatrin.

orfy said:
Superb thanks.

It's the 3rd time in 2 months. The wife loved Venice at christmas. I think she liked the shopping.

Pizza for Christmas Lunch was diffferent. (Made up for it in the evening with a Posh meal on the Grand Canal) The Orchestra in a church on Chrismas Day was also nice.

man, my wife would kill for Italy at Christmas. and Pizza for lunch! that rocks any day of the year!!!!:D

we're glad your back. how'd the brew's fair over the holiday?

Happy Mug, i think you just posted what several have been wanting to for a few weeks now. :D

The wife and I have our fingers crossed to go to Venice this year as we have a friend from there getting married, but no date has been set nor invites received. Unfortunately, it will be significantly more expensive for us to get there than orfy!

Denny's Brew said:
usmcruz got banned then he came back on a diff IP using a not so nice username and spammed nearly every recent thread. Obviously admin erased his posts. He was on here only a few minutes ago.

What's going on!!?? Why do I always miss the interesting stuff. :( Can we have some edited / censored highlights?

Bee-Gee.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I'd love to visit places in the States but it's cost me $1000's to do so.
Swings and Round-abouts.

Blighty.

I only Saw happy mugs responce.

catfish said:
The Happy Mug should be allowed to pass his Senior Member status on to his new user name The Drunk and Surly Mug.:D
Good one catfish. :D

catfish said:
Well I think that maybe one or two people might possibly been baiting usmc just a little bit...just to see if he'd meltdown or not. Unfortunately he went off a bit quicker than anyone thought, and everyone missed all the fun. :(

El Pistolero said:
Good one catfish. :D

Well I think that maybe one or two people might possibly been baiting usmc just a little bit...just to see if he'd meltdown or not. Unfortunately he went off a bit quicker than anyone thought, and everyone missed all the fun. :(

who on this forum would do such a thing? :D

DeRoux's Broux said:
who on this forum would do such a thing? :D
I don't know, but I will say that of the two of us, it's not me who should be calling themselves a psychic. :D

BlightyBrewer said:
Have you been to Rome Orfy?

It's a fantastic city. Well worth the visit.

I've been lucky enough to spend a week there. I loved it. I've managed Italy 4 times this year.
I think next time (if/when) I go I'd like to visit the lakes or the mountains. Sumer time though.

Come on the fess up, what was the deleted post about? :eek: It seemed to piss Happy Mug off pretty good.

El Pistolero said:
I don't know, but I will say that of the two of us, it's not me who should be calling themselves a psychic. :D
Didn't know you're part of a double act El P! I've never thought of you as a 'sidekick'.
But what has happened with usmcruz? Did he fall off his swivel chair?:D

Edit - Sorry Orfy to try hijacking this thread to find out!

catfish said:

Excellent :D

Glad to hear your holiday went well enough, orfy. Welcome back.

Green mushrooms may be closer then they appear.

What are we talking about again? ;)

Back