Malolactic fermentation in the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicholasH

Reaction score
I was thinking about trying out malolactic cultures in my cider. I was planning to rack out of primary into my bottling bucket, over the malolactic culture, then bottling and allowing the malolactic fermentation to occur in the bottle. I've only seen instructions to do malolactic fermentation in a secondary carboy, but it seems easier to just to it in the bottle since I was planning to age it in the bottle for a while anyway. Is there any reason that malolactic fermentation in the bottle is bad? Should I just do it in secondary and then bottle after malolactic fermentation is complete?

MLF gives off some co2 so you will get a bit of fizz. Also you only use a tiny amount of culture so distributing it around the bottles evenly might be an issue. The co2 means you get an extra period of protection in primary so I just pitch in primary and leave it an extra couple of weeks.
One of the reasons for pitching an mlf is to avoid mlf in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back