New brewer in Chicago burbs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csoko

Reaction score
Hey everyone. First time brewer in the western burbs of Chicago. Been lurking for a couple of weeks and decided it's time to intro since I plan on brewing my first batch this weekend and will likely have a number of questions.

One thing is for sure, the bug catches easily and I'm already trying to decide how many more buckets and better bottles I'm going to need.

Welcome! It's a great hobby, and there are lots of Chicagoland folks around here. Have you been to any of the local homebrew shops?

I've been to the Brew and Grow in Roselle (first noob mistake, ordered my Northern Brewer kit without yeast). I live closer to the shop in St. Charles but haven't been out there yet.

The St. Charles shop is great...definitely check it out. I'm in Wheaton, so Brew&Grow Roselle is the closest to me, I think it may be my favorite in the area. Either that or St. Charles.

I'm right down the road from you in West Chicago. I'm going to check out the St. Charles shop soon. I've heard good things. It's a shame that Two Brothers hasn't kept their store up, as it would be great to grab supplies and a beer.

I'm right down the road from you in West Chicago. I'm going to check out the St. Charles shop soon. I've heard good things. It's a shame that Two Brothers hasn't kept their store up, as it would be great to grab supplies and a beer.

Well hey, neighbor.

Totally agree re: TwoBro's shop - it's more of a giftshop. The lady who runs the shop is a homebrewer, so not sure why it's not better stocked. I only go there for the "expired" yeast they sell for cheap.

Actually, I've been really let down by TwoBros in general lately. Their beer is fantastic, but it just seems like they don't really care to inform us (their fans) about what's going on..website is rarely updated, old info, no newsletters, etc. Maybe I just expect too much and need to get over myself.

I second that about Two Brothers. I'm a huge fan of their beer but their customer relations are absolutely awful.

No reason to go to the Brew and Grow in Roselle. I live about a mile away and yet I still order all my stuff from Northern Brewer b/c Brew and Grow tries to sell me expired Wyeast packs all the time and they are a bit on the expensive side.

White Eagle - dzien dobry. Love eating at Przybylo's. Fellow polack here.

Ty- Two Brothers have spread themselves and grown to the point where they have changed. They don't worry about keeping people informed because the restaurants are packed regardless and their beer has a big enough following.

Bertus - I grew up in Roselle. I'll have to double check the wyeast I just bought from B&G. All my ingredients so far have come from Northen Brewer as well, but I didn't want to pay $15 for one smack pack.

I am about an hour west of you guys, straight out 88. I too love two Bros beer. Have a 1/6 barrel of Resistance on tap at home.

Welcome to the sport of beer brewing!

Welcome aboard, We have a Brew and Grow in Crystal Lake.They are
pretty reasonable with a decent selection of supplies and gear.They
brew on premise and samples are free daily.

Happy Brewing,I`m on it tomorrow

Back