Question on getting my lager to finish out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yournotpeter

Reaction score
I brewed an American Premium Lager with Wyeast 2007 Pilsen Lager yeast. My OG was 1.060 (which I overshot by 4 points) and the recipe indicated finishing at 1.010. It fermented steady at 50 degrees. 8 days ago I was at 1.027 and starting bringing the temperature up to mid 60s for a diacetyl rest. 3 days after bringing the temp up, I was down to 1.014. Today (5 days later) I am still at 1.014. Do you think this is as far as I'm going to get? Did I end up roughly 4 points higher because I started 4 points higher?

I haven't done too many lagers and don't have my process nailed like I do with ales.

That fermentation schedule looks pretty good to me. You had plenty of time in the d-rest to finish the fermentation. I am not familiar with that yeast, but I would say it's done and it finished higher due to the higher OG. I always look at the delta in OG to FG, not the FG of the recipe.

I like to let mine get very close to FG before I do a diacetyl rest. With only 4 points to go, I wouldn't worry about it; you're good and finished. Try letting it go slightly longer next time, maybe under 1.020.

That's over 75% apparent attenuation, which is the top of the strain's typical range. It may drop slightly further during lagering, but I'd say it's in great shape.

Back