Help! Pike's Tandem Clone Conversion from AG to Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suttonjs2

Reaction score
Below is a clone recipe from BYO for Pike's Tandem Ale. I am trying to convert the recipe into extract and I have a couple questions. Any help would be awesome and greatly appreciated!

The recipe:
Pike Tandem Ale Clone - BYO March-April 2010 issue

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 48.33 %
3.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 22.30 %
1.20 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 8.92 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.43 %
1.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.43 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.86 %
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [9.00 %] (75 min) Hops 15.1 IBU
0.50 oz Mt. Hood [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
0.50 oz Mt. Hood [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.6 IBU
6.00 items Coriander Seed (Boil 1.0 min) Misc
0.50 lb Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 3.72 %
1 Pkgs Abbey Ale (White Labs #WLP530) Yeast-Ale

Mash @ 152-F for 60 mins.
90 minute boil.
Add cane sugar in last 20 mins of boil. Add crushed coriander seeds in last minute of boil.

Est Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.99 %
Bitterness: 26.4 IBU
Est Color: 22.1 SRM

Question 1: Which grains can be steeped and which need to be DME? I'm pretty sure the first two need to be DME but I'm not sure which DME would work as a substitution. What about the Roasted Barley? Munich and Wheat are available in DME. Should I just do that rather than steep crushed grains? :confused:

Question 2: The crystal malt I'm pretty sure should be steeped, although I'm having trouble locating C-80L. Would C-60L or another be close enough?

And one more: Should I make a starter with the one package of WLP530? If so, would a 3-quart starter be good enough? Never done a starter before, but it looks harmless enough....

Thanks in advance! I'm really excited to get this one going!

Roasted Barley and C80 are the only two that can be steeped. C-60 will be close, but not extactly the same.

Use a combination of pale (you could use both an American and an English if you wanted to), wheat, and Munich extracts for the rest. For the wheat and the Munich see how much of the extract is the grain in question and how much is pale/pils.

Starter is definately the way to go for a beer this strong. 3 qrts should be enough. Just watch your sanitation and give the yeast as much oxygen as you can.

Back