What a difference three days in the fridge makes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicksbrew

Reaction score
I just thought I'd share this experience real quick...

The last few beers I've made have all had this strange taste to them... The closest thing to describe it would be nail polish remover... So I assume this is caused by ethyl acetate, and I think it was from fermenting too warm... The last batch of IPA I made was the absolute worst.. After 2 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in bottles at room temp, it was still damn near undrinkable until after the first few sips it seemed to mellow out a little bit...now I think this is due to the fact that ethyl acetate is pretty volitile. Well, exactly 3 days in the fridge and the taste was **GONE** ! I was not expecting such a good beer! Now it's time to cold condition the rest of the batch for a week and see how it is!

I don't know, I brewed it right before we left for California for a week, and I'm pretty sure it got over 75 sometime in there...I just procured a small, old refrigerator that I'm going to reconstitute as a fermentation chamber...between that and making yeast starters from now on (except the hefeweizens), I shouldn't have that ethyl acetate off flavor anymore...we shall see!

Back