Newb questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAVET

Reaction score
I like the idea of Deathbrewers brew in a bag method. But one question. Is it inviting trouble by putting the bag in while the water is cold and leaving it in while I heat the water and then letting it steep?

I am toying with the idea of my first many brews following the Reinheitsgebot. Only so I can learn the flavors of the various yeasts, hops, etc can impart. Trying to follow the KISS principle. It seems it would be easy to ask questions about flavors if everything is as simple as I can make it.

what do you mean by inviting trouble? i think the nylon bag is inert and since you'll be boiling it after you drain out the grains, i don't think any negative aspects will result. i wouldn't sweat it.

Maybe I should have phrased it different. Is leaving the grains in the bag while I heat the water going to bring any "off" flavors or cause any issues as opposed to bringing the water up to temp and then putting the bag o grain in the pot?

If you are planning on steeping only, it's fine to do that. If you are planning on mashing, I believe that would mess with your conversion.

I can't spout the science behind it but mashing requires very specific temperature to do what it is suppose to do. I don't think you can convert the sugars efficiently by leaving the grains in while heating.

Someone with more detail will be along soon I'm sure.

Back