Airlock popped off carboy, halps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambriel

Reaction score
Heh, oops!

So apparently my 5 gallon batch of centennial blond didn't have enough room to grow in a 6 gallon carboy, and it launched the airlock across the garage. Is this recoverable? It would have happened sometime since late last night (it's 7pm here now), so it could have been sitting without a top anywhere from an hour or two up to about 18. I'd be awfully bummed about dumping 5 gallons on my first all grain batch. What are the chances this is going to be okay?

It's very cloudy, but the yeast on top seems pretty uniform and it doesn't particularly smell off. Nothing appears infected.

It will be fine. Put the airlock bak on or attach a blow-off tube. There is enough CO2 in there to keep the bad stuff out.

I had an air lock blow off about 2 months ago. I am drinking the resulting brew now....all is fine. I realized that I had such a fast ferment and high kroisen that the air lock becam pluged with yeast. I would for sure go ahead with the batch. As mentioned the C02 comming of will take care of major infection problems. Time to build yourself a blow off tube and you will avoid the same problem in the future.

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday, except it was the top to a plastic bucket that was blown off, and it was in my kitchen instead of the garage :mad:

I hope your beer is OK. I'm sure it will be :)

Back