CPVC and boiling wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lustreking

Reaction score
Last night I bodged a couple fittings together to make whirlpooling during chilling easier. It basically hooks under the handle and over the rim of my kettle, and a length of silicone hose goes down to the wort as a wort return.

Now I'm wondering if it's ok to do this with cpvc. I will probably run this for the last couple minutes of the boil to sanitize the hoses and my pump.

I know that cpvc is safe at mash temps, but is it still safe at boiling temperatures?

Edit: I just read that the maximum service temperature of cpvc is 200ºF. In the way that I'll be using it, it won't be under any significant pressure, so I think I might be ok. What are your thoughts?

I spent a lot of time researching this. This is an excerpt from what I found. I was trying to hook up my March pump. If you do a search for Polypropylene Couplings, you can read the rest. - Dwain

As most of us are aware, when dealing with high temperature, there is less danger of a "plastic" coupling failing than the chemical properties becoming unstable and "off gassing" into the product.
I spent quite abit of time with a Mcmaster-Carr Technical Rep. (Dave) trying to find a material that would handle 212F and still maintain its FDA rating. We looked at Polypropylene, Polyethylene, HDPE, LDPE, PTFE, Kinar, Nylon and sevaral others "blends" of Fluoroplastic fittings. The only thing that was close was schedule 80 CPVC. It is only good to 200F.

A lot of people use different material and will tell you they don't have problems. These temps are what the FDA approves.

Last night I bodged a couple fittings together to make whirlpooling during chilling easier. It basically hooks under the handle and over the rim of my kettle, and a length of silicone hose goes down to the wort as a wort return.

Now I'm wondering if it's ok to do this with cpvc. I will probably run this for the last couple minutes of the boil to sanitize the hoses and my pump.

I know that cpvc is safe at mash temps, but is it still safe at boiling temperatures?

Edit: I just read that the maximum service temperature of cpvc is 200ºF. In the way that I'll be using it, it won't be under any significant pressure, so I think I might be ok. What are your thoughts?

Nothing to worry about. The max 200F spec is the limit at pressures which you will never come close to. There is also a cushion with the FDA safety rating. It won't melt at boiling temps. I use it the same way you are.

Back