Fermenting Action?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamHain

Reaction score
Noob brewer here...

So my 1st real batch is brewing. I started last month with Mr.Beer kit then I aquired all the equipment to do my own brew.

All seem to be going well after I made my wort. I oxygenated the wort well,added the yeast at the reccomended temps,covered it and put the airloc in. The 1st day the ambient temps in the room were about 64 and the brew was right at 70. Right where its supposed to be according to the kits instructions. The 2nd day showed a lot of action in the airloc. Every 2 seconds I had a bubble come up.

On the 3rd brew day I noticed very little airloc bubbling. Somehow, I think my wife turned the room temp down and the brew temp dropped down to about 64-66 degrees. I saw a bubble in the airloc every 10-15 seconds...maybe even 20.

Should I be concerned that the low temp ruined my brew or does airloc action slow down after so many days of fermenting?

I have since raised room temp up and the fermenter shows temps at 68-70.

Thanks!

Airlock activity slows down after a few days - totally natural. Low temp did not ruin your beer - if anything, it sounds like she did you a favor because I usually don't like to ferment all the way up in the high '60s. You sure your wife isn't brewing behind your back?

Yeah, the majority of active ferementation happens in the first 1-3 days. After that, the yeast wax off the final 0.01 point or so for about 4-5 more days. AFTER THAT, the yeast will actually go back and eat and clean up thier own by products and other impurities in the beer, which takes another 4-5 days, after that, bulk conditioning begins.

Point being, LOTS happens far after airlock activity stops. 2-3 weeks minimum in primary is the general rule for average gravity wort (OG of 1.05-1.06 or so).

Be patient with it, not wiggy wit it!

Agree with previous poster that your temps were better in the low 60s. Do yourself a huge favor and do a search for 1) fermentation temps and 2) airlock activity. While there are many good kits out there, the common denominator seems to be poor instructions especially when it comes to temperature and time. You'll learn a heck of a lot more on this forum than from kit instructions, I know I did. Have fun.:mug:

Back