Kegging for the 1st time....for my wedding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno99

Reaction score
Gals/Gents- Feedback is greatly appreciated!

In addition to the run of the mill Budlight and Blvd (KC local brewery), I'm planning on serving 2 batches of home brew: an american pale and oktoberfest style ale.

I'm planning on kegging them both for ease of serving at my wedding, but have only bottled until now.

I have roughly 20 days before the wedding. Both brews are ready to go: both in 2ndary for 3+ weeks.

Talking with the local brew supply shop, I plan to naturally carbonate in the kegs at basement temp (68F) and then chill the day before the wedding in ice tub. Any problem with this theory/setup?

Checking online, I see a lot of people force carb, but I worry about spending all of my CO2 (1 tank) on both force carb and serving for both kegs.

Any suggestions tips/tricks is appreciated!

If your tank is full and you have room to chill the beer you'll have plenty of CO2 to force Carb and serve 2 five gal kegs. Working from memory after a long day you should be able to set it and forget it at 12 psi for an ale

We always natural carbonate kegs. Use 1/2 the sugar you would for bottling, purge, pressure it up to seal and set it in the corner. It is really just a big bottle of beer carbonating at that point.

Since you are on a timeline, I would leave them some place a bit warmer than 68° but I'm sure you will be fine by the big day.

If I were you I'd give it a test run before the day prior to your wedding. You're going to have a lot of things to do and fiddling with a keg making sure its not spraying foam everywhere doesn't have to be one of them. my $.02

I naturally carb all of my kegs. For a pale ale I usally set it around 70 but 68 should be fine. My last one was a DFH 60 min clone. It carbed for 2 weeks naturally and was gone in 90 minutes at the office party. You will need very little CO2 to push it as the natural carbonation will push a good 1/4 of the keg. On a 5lb tank I can force card and dispense 5 kegs easy. Have a great wedding and I wish you well!

EB

Back