Beer at bottom of keg question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think I'm getting towards the bottom of my IIPA keg. I also noticed that my beer started getting kind of cloudy.

My question is, should I expect cloudy beer when I'm close to finishing a keg, especially an IIPA that was dry hopped? Is this the result of some keg agitation when I moved kegs around as I setup the air cooled, thru wall taps? I thought that might be it, but it's had a day to settle and though it's better, still not crystal clear like it was.

Or is it something else? Taps and beer are ice cold running a few feet away in insulated pvc lines with a blower. No foam issues.

Thanks for the opinion. Cheers on this Labor day weekend!:mug:

When you say it gets cloudy when your "close to finishing" the keg, are you talking about the last glass before you run out ? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. However, if it's cloudy the last 5 or so glasses I'd probably take a look to see how close the dip tube is to the bottom of the keg. You may need to cut it a little to keep it from picking up the settlement on the bottom of the keg. Usually my last glass does get a little cloudy...

depending on how quickly you go from primary to keg, and also dry hopping...not to mention force carb vs. primed keg....

yeah you'll get some yeast buildup in the bottom and it usually sits pretty idle until the end simple becaues the beer draining off of it will make it slide down keg walls, etc.

non-flocculent yeast strains will also dispense more readily than the strains that really compact into a firm yeast cake.

I prefer a secondary, so my keg'd beer is mostly yeast free. then i don't have to mess with cutting dip tubes.

Unfortunately, I think I'm getting towards the bottom of my IIPA keg. I also noticed that my beer started getting kind of cloudy.

My question is, should I expect cloudy beer when I'm close to finishing a keg, especially an IIPA that was dry hopped? Is this the result of some keg agitation when I moved kegs around as I setup the air cooled, thru wall taps? I thought that might be it, but it's had a day to settle and though it's better, still not crystal clear like it was.

Or is it something else? Taps and beer are ice cold running a few feet away in insulated pvc lines with a blower. No foam issues.

Thanks for the opinion. Cheers on this Labor day weekend!:mug:

IMHO, that's your deal right there. You kicked up some sediment, and now you're drawing it off. I secondary everything for clarity/dry hop and still get sediment in my glass after moving a keg around. If you wait a day after moving your keg, you'll likely only get one glass (or none) with sediment, as you won't have sucked it up into your dip tube, lines, etc.

Usually, the last pint is the clearest and most beautiful (and best tasting) beer of the keg. Moving it will resuspend sediment, though, and since there is less beer in the keg near the end, that's just more sediment to be in each bit of beer.

In short, it's the moving of the keg, not the amount of beer left, that causes a formerly clear beer to cloud up.

Back