WLP830 starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
Got a 2L starter churning away in the fridge at 50F... here is an observation. With NOTHING in a refrigerator except a 2L starter, there is absolutely NO thermal mass. If you open the fridge, the compressor begins running almost immediately. Has anyone ever tried to add some thermal mass? Say, a bucket of cooled water, anything to add thermal mass to help maintain a consistent temp? See ya

Pol

Hmmmmmm interesting. I would say that is why you have it in the fridge....to keep the temp the same. If you open the door, the insulation should cool it pretty quick after closing it again. If that is not quick enough.....sure....water bucket.

I just bought a pretty cheap refridgerator to store bottles and kegs. I notice that just about any time that i open it the compressor goes on. Even with 2 corny kegs and a 5# co2 tank, it still kicks on every time i open it. I think its just because its a cheap unit.

I would think it is more a function of where the temp probe is on the unit. Adding more thermal mass to the refridgerator may not help. If you could find the thermal probe that senses when to switch the unit on or off, then maybe you could add more thermal mass to that. I have seen someone who took the temp probe and one of the white labs yeast tubes and filled the tube with the gel from the inside of a hot/cold pack. then stuck the thermal probe into the tube and gel. I would think that this may solve your problem.

This is a lagering fridge... the probe that turns it on and off is a Johnson Controls external temp controller.

Okay, been 12 hours, the starter doesnt look very active... NOW, I am used to doing starters at 72F for heffes, so there is krausen and pretty early on. This is a 50-55F starter with a lager yeast. One vial of WLP830 at 55F and the starter was at 55F... 2L of 1.044 wort to start. Is it commom to see less activity or none in a lager starter?

Pol

There is a little positive pressure in the airlock now, and I have been swirling it a few times a day... it "appears" that the yeast on the bottom has been thickening... anyone had similar results with a lager starter? Lorena??

The Pol said:
There is a little positive pressure in the airlock now, and I have been swirling it a few times a day... it "appears" that the yeast on the bottom has been thickening... anyone had similar results with a lager starter? Lorena??

Don't know, about the starter, but I know my first lager too a long time to see any activity (3 days). Cooler temps for the yeast, CO2 absorption in the liquid, etc I suspect were to blame. But, the beer turned out fine.

I am going to make a larger starter tonight for the next batch though.

Well I have no problem getting a krausen on my starters at 50f.
Insidefrige3.jpg

This one shows a starter before pitching up to a gallon as well as a lager at high krausen all at 50f.

Mine has been in there 3 days, no activity really, if this keeps up I will try to warm it up a little to give it a boost...

My starter finally STARTED after about 5 days... it took warming up the fridge about 2 deg per day for three days, it is now at 56F... bubbles are evident (small krausen)

Back