Sour Saison Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritobandito

Reaction score
So I've been wanting to do a sour saison for a while now and I think I finally have a plan of attack. I'm going to brew the saison as normal 5.5 gallon batch. I was planning on pulling a little over a gallon from the second runnings off and boiling for 15 minutes and adding hops for around 5 ibus. I would pitch lacto into that a let it do its thing.

The other 4.5 gallons I would get out of the kettle I plan to ferment with brett only. I haven't decided what strain to use yet. I plan to blend the 1 gallon with the main 4.5 gallons of beer. I was hoping this would be a good way to get around lacto's vulernability to ibus if I was to pitch it into the main wort, which would have around 35-40 ibus.

A couple questions though
1. Would it be a problem if I was to let the lacto sit alone for a few weeks before blending? Would it just get ridiculously sour?
2. I've read that certain strains of lacto do produce alcohol, however, the strain usually used for brewing does not. Is sugar consumed to produce the lactic acid? Will the gravity change much in the 1 gallon lacto only batch?

Back