Blichmann Hellfire Leg Extensions issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongoose33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ordered a Blichmann Hellfire from Homebrew Supply (who was a good vendor, btw). I ordered the leg extensions as well. Finally was able to assemble the burner, and discovered that there are not sufficient parts to fully assemble the burner using the leg extensions.

The hellfire uses Kettle retaining bars to keep the kettle in place--and, as it turns out, to support a kettle. They are attached using small 6mm bolts, which are screwed into nuts welded to the short legs in the correct place.

However, the leg extensions do not have the nuts welded in place. In fact, there are no nuts included at all, just the short bolts. I went to Menards (home depot type store) to see if I could get some nuts that would fit the metric bolts; no luck. I also tried some 1/4" bolts but the holes are too small for that. I thought about drilling out the holes, but that makes me a little uncomforable doing that on a brand-new item.

So--I have the leg extensions attached but I cannot attach the kettle retaining bars. I can't use it for my kettle because I have a 10-gallon Spike kettle whose base is just barely wider than the support provided by the legs. So until I can track down some nuts, I can't use it.

I was able to fire it up even though I can't use it for a kettle, and it puts out an impressive amount of heat. I was able to dial the amount up and down, so I should have full control of the boil.

One other thing: the kettle retaining bars look like they should be able to snug up to the kettle holding it firmly in place. This may be true for very large kettles but the vertical portion is nowhere near my 10-gallon Spike kettle. There is about an inch of space between the vertical portion of the retaining bar and the kettle.

Kettle retaining bars:
hellfire3.jpg

Original short legs with nuts welded in place:

blichold.jpg

The new leg extensions with no nuts:

blichnew.jpg

They probably are the same legs as the original burner which required nuts for both the short and long legs. Im sure if you sent an email to blichmann they would put a set in the mail.

They probably are the same legs as the original burner which required nuts for both the short and long legs. Im sure if you sent an email to blichmann they would put a set in the mail.

I wonder if I was sent the wrong extensions. They aren't supposed to be interchangeable. Maybe this is why.

I have tge same problem. Luckly my lhbs owner told me about that before i ordered them.

If anyone receives leg extensions without threaded holes for the retaining bar they're the TopTier burner leg extensions. If you happen to have this issue email us at [email protected]

All HellFire burner leg extensions should come with threaded holes for the retaining bars and will have "HELLFIRE BURNER LEG EXTENSIONS" written on the side. Cheers!

I was contacted today by Blichmann to get the problem resolved and I believe it will be. Great customer service.

I also believe there was a computer glitch that sent me the wrong extensions. From what I can tell, they are the extensions for the top tier burner, not the Hellfire. But we'll get them replaced. Nobody died, there was no blood, no permanent injuries.

First-world problem, as they say. Thank you to Blichmann for the fast response.

Now that i think about it. I was wanting to take my top tier and use them on a hell fire.

All's well that ends well. That Blichmann company, pretty good business there. Top tier customer service (sorry :) ). They got me fixed up w/ the correct legs, I'm sending the other ones back, and I was able to brew this weekend using the Hellfire.

That burner is one stunning piece of equipment. I'll review it elsewhere but I no longer have any delay to speak of w/r/t heating either water or wort.

Thanks to Blichmann and Homebrewsupply for the great customer service.

Back