Whats that small coming from my lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgez

Reaction score
I had about a 60 hour lag before fermentation kicked in. I let it sit at basement temp (62 degrees) during this 60 hours. Once fermentation kicked in, I put the carboy into a fridge to keep it around 50 degrees for the remainder of primary fermentation. After only a few hours in the fridge I opened it just to make sure the temp was stable and got a wiff of something that was not plesant. I cannot describe it other than the stench you get from a refridgerator that has some old food way in the back...you know that smell. It almost smells rotten, like a nasty burp, or spoiled milk or something. I smelled the gallon jug I am using to capture the blowoff, and the smell is really strong. I popped the top of the carboy and took a wiff, its there as well. So I'm concerned that the lag time caused a problem...or maybe the yeast I used just smells this way, Wyeast 2007 Pilsen Lager.

Probably just a mixture of yeast and CO2. Many yeasts give off a rotten, sulfury smell during fermentation. I would not worry about this beer yet.

Its definately not a sulfury smell. I would much rather it smelled like someone ripped one in the fridge and closed the door, then I wouldnt be worried

Back